PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I recently bought some of the Match Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. It comes in a cube cut. This is the first such blend that I've had with that kind of cut. I had a hell of a time keeping it lit. Does anyone have any suggestions or tricks in terms of working with this kind of cut, or even this blend specifically?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Cube cut was the way most of the American burley blends were made back in the day. My preference is to pack the bowl on the loose side. At least that's what works for me.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Yeah, I wanted to try it because I've enjoyed a few other burley blends lately, and I wanted to see if I could find a regular blend for my rotation that's mostly burley with just a bit of added flavor. It tastes great, but I'm going to need to work on getting it to smoke a little easier for me.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Dan: Papipeguy gave you the best advice there is on cube cut. That cut just needs a little babying. I love the ERR Match. Hope you will, too.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
With cube-cut burleys, I just pour cubes into the bowl (without any pressure applied with fingers or tamper) and light.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
There are a lot of cube-cut burley based blends out there. Spent a couple hours looking at various "burley-based" blends yesterday. So far I have had great success with the MATCH blends as far as my taste is concerned. I like the quality, taste, and price. Will add this one to the mix.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I smoked another bowl this morning, and I think it just needs more time to dry. I worked it over a bit, rubbing it through my fingers, and let it sit for a while. I noticed that it was a lot moister than I first thought.
Taste-wise, it's everything I was hoping for. Very nice.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
And Jim, your review was one that sold me on trying it. Along with Classic Burkey Kake, I am really enjoying these lightly aromatic burley blends.
Are these kinds of blends similar to what are referred to as OTC/drugstore burleys like Carter Hall or Prince Albert?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I would say they are, though maybe a little less so for CBK. The original ERR was sold that way for decades. I believe the original was discontinued in 2010.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I used to have with ERR match lighting and staying lit. Loose fill 2/3 bowl then take a pinch or two of cubes and rub in your palm until it is small fine pieces. Then load on top of cube cut. Then you have a more consistent level surface to light. It burns better that way for me.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Yeah that's good stuff. Love it. I also rub it out just a tad to break it up slightly. That dries it a little quicker and seems to burn fine after that

Status
Not open for further replies.