PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

kardar2

Lurker
Oct 7, 2015
Hello,

I did a search on this subject but nothing came up. Please don't beat me up for this cause I am sure this has been asked a million times. I am new to pipe smoking. Why is there such a difference in price for pipes from eBay and online pipe shops? There are Meerschuam pipes for $5 and $6 bucks and they are $100 in online stores. Thank you for educating me.

kardar2

Lurker
Oct 7, 2015
Never mind I found this

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Choosing-a-Meerschaum-Pipe-a-beginners-guide-/10000000003844994/g.html

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm not a meerschaum guy, but buying one blind on Ebay is a risky move. There are a lot of junk pipes on ebay and they far outnumber the decent pipes. I would look to a reputable meerschaum vendor for a decent pipe. Smoking a poorly made pipe is an exercise in frustration. Perhaps some of the forums meer enthusiasts will chime in with options/suggestions.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Buying on Ebay auctions? Lots of fun. Always getting a winner? You learn. My lessons haven't been TOO costly.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Meerschaum pipes come in two major forms. The first is naturally occurring formations the second is dust that has be rebounded into a block and then carved. Then there is the carver issue. Who made it? Cracking is also an issue with meerschaum and often they don't show up until the pipe is warm. There are a lot of things to consider when buying a meerschaum pipe, so for the novice it's better to go through a trustworthy source.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
i wouldn't buy a Meersechaum I couldn't handle and see in person. I'm more comfortable buying briar on eBay though.

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
I agree with aggravated farmer. I haven't bought a meerschaum pipe yet because I haven't seen one in a store that I like. I would be leery of getting one on ebay. Stick with briars for now and save up for a meerschaum.

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
If you must buy a meer online, do so from a reputable company who will cheerfully offer you a refund if you are unhappy with it cosmetically. Smokingpipes.com and PipesAndCigars.com are two good choices, especially so for a smoker new to meerschaum.

briardan

Lurker
Feb 8, 2015
My problem with meers is they may be unique and elegant, but may not be very functional. If you do buy a meer to smoke, avoid the figural carvings and look for a standard shape with a lattice or smooth finish. If you buy a figural, you may never smoke it to avoid tarnishing its beauty. Also if you drop it or make one bad move its toast. I suggest looking for a calabash with a removable meer bowl. They provide the meer smoking qualities and are more durable. Plus, many calabash pipes include a pipe rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.