PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Funny story, I was going to bid on this at the last second but ended up being busy feeding goats and making sure chickens were put away. As I walked on to my parents porch, my mother came out and said, "Someone bought the pipe you were looking at." To which I replied, "Damn vultures." She then proceeded pointed at me and say whilst laughing, "I won it! Bwahahahah!" (she actually laughed like that)
Clicky!

Jul 15, 2011
Doesnt look too shabby, though that stem might need a little bit of work and the whole thing might need a good once over. But considering what you paid for a Peterson with a silver band, you got a pretty damn good deal. Congratulations!

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Nice pipe! Congrats!
It'll need some elbow grease, and the stem to be put in right-side up, but a nice Pete! IIRC they made Petes in England until the 1960s ....

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
I'm excited to see how it's going to turn out, it looks pretty nice, needs some work on the rim of the bowl, and the silver could use some polishing, and the stem needs to be fixed up... and... and... Good price! :rofl:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Good looking pipe!
$T2eC16h,!zoE9s5ng)E)BQ0lLdDC1g~~60_57.JPG

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Baking Soda and water(make a paste) will do wonders for that Silver band mate.
I used to use baking soda, salt, and hot water in a bowl with aluminum foil on the bottom. You can watch it pull the tarnish right off and onto the foil. But I'm hesitant to dip even part of the pipe into hot water...

Jul 15, 2011
But I'm hesitant to dip even part of the pipe into hot water...
No worries on the hot water brother. There isnt anything on that pipe that you are going to damage by a little hot water. Hell, after I do a salt and alcohol treatment on a pipe, I rinse the salt out with hot water and scrub the pipe dry with a paper towel. Never had a problem yet. I say go for it!

Jul 15, 2011
Ive never actually done work on any kind of silver band, but if it were me I would say take the stem off first. The only part of the pipe that might be affected by overly hot water would be the stem and you would have to get the water almost boiling, and the only thing the heat would affect on the stem would be that you could bend the stem a little once it reaches a certain temperature. Whatever your method is for hot water and baking soda, I would just do it like you normally do with anything else that is silver.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya don't have to dip it at all mate. Just make your paste, put on finger and start rubbing the silver. The black tarnish will come off easily and it will shine. When your done, take a damp, wet rag, and simply buff the silver, then buff it again with a dry one.

Status
Not open for further replies.