PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I read somewhere that in the early days, a pipeman on a budget would buy the thickest walled pipe, with the tallest bowl, so that, over the many years, he'd have many chances to ream out the chamber, and perform toppings as needed, withoutout worry to the life of the pipe. Meaning wood would be removed every now and then. You can see this on early estates with super thin walls. Of course today nobody would do this. But back in the day, I think most regarded the pipe more as a utilitarian tool rather than an object of aesthetics as many do today. I imagine a lot of pipemen didn't even bother to clean their pipes, before pipe cleaners came along. Chicken feathers used to be used. Probably some went to the local tobacconist to clean and ream. Probably a lot of pipes just got tossed when cake built up too much.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I remember my grandfather telling me that back in the fourties his pipe cost him around three dollars.That was 4 or 5 hours pay though.Still the attitude was a pipe was just a tool.Use it,and abuse it untill it could no longer be used then throw it out and get a new one.I've seen old pipes with so much cake in them you couldn't get tobacco in them any longer.My grandfather didn't know what a reamer was.When he did ream a pipe it was with a pocket knife.Attitides sure are different these days.I guess today's prices have a lot to do with that.

May 31, 2012
That's interesting and something I haven't heard before. It's very plausible and probably true. I for one would love to see such artifacts but I reckon most of 'em ended up in the dustbin.
I do have one lovat that has had this treatment though, it's an old Stanwell 98 and I know what the wall thickness should be, this one has quite thinner walls, as well as a non-factory bevel edge. It smokes damn good though!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I believe back in the 1700s, in europe and the states, pipes for the common man were not heirlooms or pieces of art, they were mainly tobacco delivery systems; so it makes sense that that attitude prevailed for a long time, well into the 40s.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Yes, I agree. The clay pipe was almost by definition an object of limited life span. The stems were even broken off in some cases as the pipe worn on. Eventually the thing was recycled to earth. This attitude probably prevailed as the briar was developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.