PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
So I cracked a tin of EMP as I will never wake up in the early morning (work until 2am) so as its a nice day out I figured I'd take a walk and bring my pipe along. I should mention I, for some reason, thought it was a Virginia blend... Holy crap was I wrong. It's a good thing I just got into English blends because this would have caught me completely off guard. It is extremely moist so there is no way I can smoke it before it gets dark and cold. So as I'm waiting for it to dry out I thought I'd get your impressions. How does it compare to frog Morton? It's the only other English I've tried.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
It's like comparing a horse to a camel.
Yeah the both have four legs, but that's where the similarities stop.
The Froggy blend I've tried was smooth and creamy.
EMP to me is a total 180 from the frog.
It's been a while since I've had the EMP, but they will be on different ends of the english spectrum.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
ray:
Congratulations! That's a classic blend. It's been a long time since my last tin of EMP, but I recall it being a rather oriental-forward English, which can give it something of an edge.
As for Frog Morton. . . Virtually no comparison. :) No "edge" at all. You'll get more latakia, and, as far as I'm aware, no other orientals whatsoever. But the latakia in FM will come across a bit differently than in EMP. One of the unique qualities of all of the Frogs is that the latakia is treated like a cavendish tobacco -- something I don't think any other blends attempt -- giving it a sweetness that latakia wouldn't otherwise have. I find all of the Frogs (except for Bayou, which I can't smoke due to the perique) a really enjoyable change-of-pace smoke from more traditional English blends, which is how I'd categorize EMP.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Well tobacco dried out so I tried a new packing method (reverse gravity pack) and I must say that's one of the better smokes I've ever had. Smoked right to the bottom. My impressions were good. I think I like this a bit more than Frog Morton, to my it felt like a lighter smoke and I will certainly be smoking more of this. Guess I'm an English kind of guy.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
EMP is one of my favorites and whenever I get a (rare) day off from working, I sleep late, pack a bowl of EMP and smoke it with a huge fresh mug of really good coffee. Who says a man's vices can't be (relatively) simple and wholesome? I guess I'm just a simple kind of guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.