PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12037518/E-cigarettes-contain-flavouring-chemical-linked-to-deadly-popcorn-lung.html
I feel vindicated of my assessment E-cigs are going to be a health crisis.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah I just saw it on the 12:00 news, they said it's irreversible lung damage that requires a lung transplant.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's almost reads like a 4chan post

f106467abcefdda9a8ecd082da3d905b.jpg

>Public health officials are at odds with scientists over whether or not e-cigarettes are safe

>In August, Public Health England issued a report concluding that e-cigarettes were 95 per cent less harmful than conventional tobacco and urged Britain’s eight million smokers to start vaping.

>But health experts from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and the University of Liverpool claim evidence used in the report was flawed, based on inconclusive evidence which was tainted by vested interests.

>Writing in the BMJ, Professor Martin McKee and Professor Simon Capewell said there was no reliable evidence to show that e-cigarettes were safe or that they did not provide a ‘gateway’ to smoking for youngsters.

>Although the PHE report was welcomed by bodies like Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) and the Royal College of Physicians of London, other leading health bodies - including the British Medical Association, the UK Faculty of Public Health, the European Commission and the World Health Organization, have expressed caution
tumblr_inline_nk97vkEFat1sdnhwq.jpg

cmclark

Lurker
Mar 15, 2014
...I'll stick to my pipes, more "gentleman" like and enjoyable anyways.
I always found it amazing how people are so quick to jump into things without and personal or professional research. Its like here! Drink some nicotine. Your lungs will be free and clear. Sad part is a percentage of consumers will take it no questions asked... (but we all make mistakes)

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Call me silly, but I have always been skeptical of E-Cigs. Speaking personally, at least tobacco is a natural product that grows from the ground. Sure there may be chemicals added, especially in cig manufacturing, but the product does start out as organic material. E-Cigs, on the other hand, are 100% manufactured in a laboratory. There is nothing natural in them. They are full of chemicals or extracts that have been manufactured by science.
I`ll stick with my natural substances thank you.

cmclark

Lurker
Mar 15, 2014
northernneil
your description makes me picture those drug shows where they produce crack and meth. All toxins in the end right?

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
your description makes me picture those drug shows where they produce crack and meth. All toxins in the end right?
Most people do not agree with me, but yes, I lump E-Cigs in with stuff like Crack and Meth, just minus the addition part... wait, nicotine is the most addictive substance on the planet right :roll:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The big point:
Not inhaling, and covering your lungs in burned matter and tar, is the material issue here. Even if you smoked arugula or quinoa or something hippie-healthy, if you inhaled it would cause lung problems.
Pipe and cigar smokers inhale less, or extremely little, and are therefore dodging this bullet.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The ironic part is that the previous studies that everyone claimed stated that e-cigs were a healthy alternative to smoking only based that assumption on nicotine. Nicotine is not a dangerous substance, vitamin B is derived from nicotine.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
So much for the idea that published science is infallible, since it depends on the logical reasoning abilities of those involved (and the assumption that they are not merely publishing a product to satisfy the biases of an existing audience).

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
So much for the idea that published science is infallible, since it depends on the logical reasoning abilities of those involved (and the assumption that they are not merely publishing a product to satisfy the biases of an existing audience).
Exactly. Modern "science" has become nothing more than a vehicle for political propaganda and social engineering.

This is an article about something with science involved, which is a far cry from a publish scientific article in a scientific journal. This was written for the public and scientific research is written for a much more specific audience. Honestly, I cannot interpret a true scientific research. Too heavy in jargon.
This hack stuff was written to make parents get pissed at their kids for bringing those ecigs home. Science research is written for other scientist to verify their work.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
This reminds me of plastic bags at the grocery store. Also ethanol in your gas. Methane will cause man made global warming. Plus the damage to the engine.
Cosmic, Scientic Research is written for goal post. Move it when other research contradicts it.

From day one, when these things hit the market, people stood in droves watching, tapping their feet, looking for some reason that they should not allow people to do it. It just irritates these Nazis to no end that someone should find it recreational to blow smoke of any sort. It boils their blood.

I could care less if someone should want to make popcorn in their lungs. It's their lungs, their choice. I support their rights to do it. But, I just keep imagining people with popcorn coming out of their mouths like human Pez Dispensers. :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Or someone opening their mouth to speak, and vomiting popcorn instead like a zombie plague beginning... cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.