PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I expected this to be another cheap cherry blend, and was surprised to discover it isn't. I'm not a fan of cherry blends, but having smoked a few recently, I've had the opportunity to compare good from bad. This blend is very moist in the package, and has a nice aroma upon opening the pack. The cherry taste is a little milder than the smell, and I got a light Virginia flavor here and there, which isn't the norm for fruit cased products. Burned fairly well, though you may want to dry it just a mite first. Its mildness is why I enjoyed it, because strong cherry blends just don't work for me. This is not a flavor bomb, but it is an all day work and play, fairly gentle sweet smoke with no bite. Has a nice room note, too.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Another great review, as always! I've been hearing good things about Dutch Masters pipe tobacco as an OTC option. Cigars, not so much...

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for the kind words. I never liked Dutch Masters cigars, and I fully expected this blend to be terrible based in large part on my opinion of Dutch Masters products. I don't even care for cherry blends, so imagine my surprise when I discovered this is a pretty good cherry blend. Just goes to show it doesn't always pay to prejudge. Although, I notice there's one guy who gives an "unhelpful" rating to all the three and four star reviews of this product. I told m'lady that within a half hour, that guy will post an "unhelpful" response to it... and I was right.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I have NEVER found a cherry blend tobacco that I could enjoy. A fellow tobacconist from a very well repected shop in Boston told me to try Gawith & Hoggarth's Top Black Cherry tobacco, and I did. Couldn't get through 1/3 of the bowl before dumping it out and G&H makes some of my favorite blends. So Jim, when I run across this stuff I'm going to give it a fair try but I'm still feeling pessimistic about it. Thanks for the heads up on this one.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Docwatson: I certain understand your feelings, and most of the time, I share your opinion. But, I gotta tell you, I like this one. Probably because it's mild, and isn't soaked with PG. I'm generally not an aro smoker, except as a occasional change of pace. But since I've been taste testing so many aros for Sutliff, it may well be that I'm getting used to them. I think the key to aros is to sip them.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
I always thought of cherry to be a tongue burning berserker but I recently was gifted some Hobbit's Weed and boy is it enjoyable. I would recommend this to any Aro fans and especially cherry fans. Also anyone looking to try a nice Aro for a change.
Jiminks, thanks for the review. I have a friend who bought this recently but haven't heard his thoughts on it yet.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
B&M had a cherry blend called cherries and cream, and it's the most delicious thing i've ever tasted aromatic-wise.
They went out of business before I asked them what it was... erks me to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.