Durbar. Drastic Experiences In Two Different Pipes.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Cracked a tin for the first time this morning while at the cigar shop. Round one was in my Ashton Squat Straight Bull. I was taken aback as it seemed very harsh. I even got a dose of Vitamin N and felt a bit lightheaded.

I finished that bowl and waited about an hour before I loaded another bowl in my Tinder Box Sasieni made Bent Bulldog.

Much better this time. Flavorful and tasty... Maybe I rushed through the first bowl or something, I don't know.

Strange, but it happens.
Thoughts?

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I have the same thing with McClelland Oriental 14. It is a wonderful smoke in all my pipes but every time I load up in my peterson bent billiard I am dissapointed. I don't know why as I smoke other English and orientals in that pipe with great success.
Durbar is a tobacco I am keen to try.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo vo
I don't think your experience is unique to Durbar. In general, I favor letting a tin air out for a day or three after popping it. Flavor definitely improves. I suppose it's a little like how an older red wine needs 20 or so minutes to develop after uncorking.
hp

les

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I had the same thing happen with the Grand Croupier Boneyard. Tried it in my Ropp and it was poo. Tried it in a Mountbatten Pot and it opened things up and let the english sing.
Glad you worked it out with Durbar!
Hey, which Tbox pipes were Sassieni made?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Freshly popped tins of enjoyable blends can be great right off, or need some time out first. Sometimes I air them and let them dry a little in a pottery bowl, and other times the mere fact that the vacuum seal is broken will improve them over a day or two. Often it is true, too, that between pipes, a larger diameter chamber will unfold complex blends better, like four to six tobaccos in a blend. I'm glad this new (old) Dunhill turned out well for you.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Wyfbane, it's an "Ivory" by Sasieni. I had a friend give it to me. He bought it in 1972 at a Tinder Box.
Thanks for the comments on your experiences of fresh tobacco.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I prefer to pop my tins and get atmosphere on the innards for 2-3 days before smoking and although I've smoked many times right out of a fresh popped tin I've noticed that Dunhill mixtures can be quite rude at first if not given some time to adjust. (I realize it's all from STG but....). A different pipe can change the dynamics of the smoke quite often for me too and if I'm on the fence about one blend or another I always try to smoke it in several different briars.

Status
Not open for further replies.