PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
http://m.ebay.com/itm/S-T-Dupont-Defi-Extreme-Black-Torch-High-Altitude-Lighter-21400-021400-/230879285597
I know torches aren't for pipes although there are few advocates out there.
What I'm thinking is for outdoors walking the dog. Indoors or on the porch matches and soft flame no problem. Outdoors I have been using my zippo but the flame is hard to control even with the wick short.
The Defi is a fairly small flame for a torch and is windproof and works at altitude. I live at 7500ft and butane lighters are a pain, soft or torch. I'm wondering if the narrow flame defi is the way to go?
Any thoughts?

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
St Dupont makes excellent lighters, I have one for my cigars. Even thought it is a single flame torch lighter, it is still too much flame/heat for a pipe. Unless you are smoking cobs and don't care about burning the shit out of it.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I would avoid buying a Dupont lighter on eBay. The only way to know it's legit is buying from an authorized retailer. 8O

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I used a Dupont Xtend for a long time some years ago and was happy with it (used $20 torch lighters prior.) My situation changed and I smoke indoors now so I only use it for cigars. I think everyone who instantly balks at the idea of using a torch to light a pipe are a bit closed minded, but I understand where they're coming from. Rim (briar) burn, the #1 balk, is nonexistent unless you're blind drunk. In fact, I really enjoyed the exact nature of the flame and excessive heat can be prevented with technique (see Frank Method on Youtube.)
The biggest hindrance with my Dupont torch, which is not really a big deal, is that it has a ball in it that prevents it from being lit while upside down (pocket safety if I remember), so you have to press the button down just a bit before inverting it (or simply fire it before inverting) which prevents the ball from locking it up. I really need to get one of my Line 2 Duponts converted to a pipe burner, but I don't trust the Dupont authorized repair facility after a bad experience with a vintage one.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
I have a ligne 2, bought used. Had it refurbished w/ pipe burner. Great piece. Really only works indoors.
Zippo pretty good outdoors in wind. Some of the torches are outstanding in wind. I'll practice on a few cheap pipes but I think there is something of benefit to the precision of a single torch flame but they are wicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.