PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm thinking about buying a second Dr Grabow Lark. It was my first pipe, and even though I own a couple Petersons and a Stanwell, my Grabow seems to smoke the best. It has been through a lot, and I would be truly sad to see it die. Has anyone else here purposely bought a duplicate pipe?

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
So far I haven't purchased any duplicate briar pipes, but have with cobs. There are so many pipes out there that I want to add to my collection, that I haven't considered having a duplicate of one. Although if I purchased a limited edition pipe (pipe of the year, Christmas pipe, etc.) and I was so blown away by it, I could see myself buying another to store away just in case.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Other then cobs I have two Dr. Grabow Bulldogs. I'm also considering buying a second Bing Crosby pipe from Boswell Pipes. I have a Savinelli Bing's Favorite but Boswell makes a Bing that looks more like what Bing Crosby smoked. Just trying to find out what the Boswell pipe costs.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I would say that there's no such thing as a 'duplicate' pipe.

Grabow has been successful for a reason.

I think that folks who tend to buy a particular shape are in effect buying 'duplicates'.

If you've got a great pipe and the maker is reproducing them...why not?

Some pipes are just too extraordinary to be faithfully reproduced.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I have seven Lorenzetti Constantines...all different models, and they all smoke very similarly. I plan to duplicate some of them eventually.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
About 5-months ago I had American pipe maker Bill Walther make me a beautiful tan blast Billiard. He sent me photos of the pipe before he blasted it along with another photo of another unfinished and unblasted pipe that was almost identical. He asked which one would I like to have. After making my choice, he blasted and finished out the pipe and I picked it up at the Dallas Pipe Show. At the show, the almost identical pipe that I did not choose was on his table for sale. Bill had kept the pipe smooth as it had terrific straight grain. I figured what the heck, and bought that one, too. So, I have a pair of almost identical Walther pipes; one blasted and the other smooth. I am glad I bought the second one because they are both remarkable smokers.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I have a couple of pairs of pipes, I happen to like pairs of things.
The thing with matching pipes is they're never a perfect match, they feel the same and have the same draw but as the wood is different it alters the way the pipe smokes. As an example I have a matching pair of lovats, one absolutely sings with OGS whilst the second really flattens the flavour.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
When you find a great pipe, you never want to let it go. I figured getting another one "just like it" was the closest I could come. The Stanwells are the only pair I have smoked both of; the others have an unsmoked "spare" twin.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A few years ago I bought two Peterson bent brandy B11's, one Shannon and one ebony Killarney dress pipe. They are sitters, noticeably light weight for their size, and primo smokers. Recently, this happened again. I've had a Stanwell straight bulldog briar in the Silke Brune series, shape 32, which is a great small pipe with a good-sized bowl, and last week I happened on the pipesandcigars Stanwell sale, 15% off their already incredible $49.99 price on a shape 32 in smooth, which had been the more expensive when I bought the Silke Brune. This is due to arrive today or Monday. I really like factory pipes that smoke well, and that describes these, especially when the price is excellent. Good factory pipes seem to increase in quality -- they break in well, and they become distinctive as the shapes evolve away from their past. If you can keep pipes for a long time, it is like creating fine estate pipes. Although this is self-contradictory, the Stanwell shape 32 is one of their original shapes, kind of a classic. Some say it is THE original Stanwell shape.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
My favorite pipes to smoke are the Grabow 69 large billiards. I keep about 25 pipes in rotation and eight of them are 69's in various grabow lines- Golden Duke,Berwyck,Silver Duke etc.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The Stanwell 32 is my favorite Stanwell shape, with the 191 a distant second. The first 32 I bought, I call my "left-handed" pipe. Due to a happy accident in the manufacturing, the diamond shank and stem are rotated 10 or fifteen degrees counter-clockwise. Since I clench on the left side of my jaw, it is the only pipe I own that the bowl sits perfectly vertical while clenching. The second one has no such idiosyncracies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I have two Rossi 8320 Authors - one smooth Messina finish, one rusticated Vittoria. I'll probably get a couple of Savinelli examples sometime in the future, as I really like the shape and the bowl size.
Cobwise, I've got a couple of Country Gentlemen, three smaller Missou pipes, and a number of Legends. The Legends were all from a grab bag, but I went out of my way for another Country Gentleman, and picked up two Missous for lunchtime smokes.

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
I have no duplicates but of the brands I have I enjoy my Savinelli Capri Ebony the most and want a Savinelli Monsieur. Perhaps that is a similar duplicate of my Capri.

While I really enjoy smoking my Peterson Aran and Hilson Vintage, both bulldogs/my favorite shape, I always reach for the Capri first.

Status
Not open for further replies.