PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pipebuddy

Has anybody noticed the prices increase? Nightcap, Dark Flake and Royal Yacht are now priced $11.60, which means a significant increase in Nightcap's case. Navy Rolls is now priced 15.29.

The rest is now priced at $9.87.

I have seen no prices increase (yet?) at 4noggins or pipesandcigars.

Is this a sign of the times to come?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Usually, when a product is discontinued retailers slash prices to get rid of it.
Could this have something to do with the non stop lamentations and predictions of the apocalypse the moment the last tin of Dunhill tobacco is sold?
Perhaps, if more pipe smokers said "screw it, I'll find another blend" we would be seeing 50% off stickers on Dunhill tins.
Just sayin'

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've been recommending finding other blends you like and laying in supplies of them for several years! You'll be much happier when five years from now you can still by XYZ blend, and smoke those tins of it that you've aged. There are many fine American blenders.

P

pipebuddy

I sure do agree there are great American blends. However, the issue I have with the tinning choice at C & D is that after 4 to 5 years of aging, the tobacco gets really dry.

This, unless the seal is compromised, does not usually happen with the Dunhill type tins.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I certainly can't speak for Sykes or anyone else at SPC, but I imagine it is a simple supply and demand thing based on their stock levels. If they have dwindling stock of the particular blends you mentioned and they know that they may never get them back in stock then they possibly decided to bump the price a few cents and/or dollars? Just a guess.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The simplest guess is that they figure that they can get more for these blends. Perhaps sales have been climbing as people conclude that the stuff is going away sooner with each passing day. Maybe Harris bought a thousand tins of Navy Rolls. Maybe Lane increased it's wholesale price. I dunno. All you know is that it costs more and the reason doesn't really matter.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why wouldn't sellers raise the price on something that is going to disappear at any moment? Aficionados of these blends will buy them to have them to smoke.
Harris, you disappoint me. I figured you for cornering the market on Royal Yuck!
Younger smokers may find these later on the secondary market for less than some people think. Tons of tobaccos have been hoarded over the years, and as the hoarders fall off the twig and their families get rid of their belongings, tons of cellared tobaccos will be coming on the market, depressing prices on not uncommon blends.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jesse, pipestud has the Royal Yuck market cornered and has for years. I believe he once told me he had over 400 tins of the stuff. No way am I going to compete with him.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
These are pennies compared to the Mac Baren increase a few years ago. A 100 gram tin of ODF went from $12 to $20 overnight. That's why we keep saying that tobacco will never be cheaper than it is now. Cellar it while you can still afford it.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
A few months ago some of the Dunhills were $8 something at Pipes & Cigars. I was able to toss a 20% off on it. It was a good day.

P

pipebuddy

These are pennies compared to the Mac Baren increase a few years ago. A 100 gram tin of ODF went from $12 to $20 overnight. That's why we keep saying that tobacco will never be cheaper than it is now. Cellar it while you can still afford it
I believe it went from $14.5 on average to $22. But then, Mac Baren tobaccos have been more than underpriced for decades on the US market. With the introduction of the HH line an adjustment was required but their adjustment had been excessive because made overnight rather than over a more prolonged period of time. They had lost a lot of sale since which forced them to decrease their prices sometime in 2016 if I remember correctly.
And yes, granted, Dunhill tobacco prices have always been fairly low on the US market. I remember, in 2005, a tin of Dunhill was $5.85 or $6.15 when GL Pease was $7.50 or so. I don't know if this was a direct impact of STG taking over production from Murray's, though.
As Sykes pointed out it was a manufacturer increase I wonder why most increased by $.60 but Nightcap jumped $2.30? I wouldn't think the Perique is still from St James Parish?

P

pipebuddy

I believe it went from $14.5 on average to $22.
That was for the HH as well as Dark Twist, Club Blend and the like. The rest of the 100g went from 9.50 to 12.50 or 13, but not sure about the new price. 'Cause the increase on the HH kind of side blinded me.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
This could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. If BAT decides that there's more money to be made they might hold off on terminating these blends.

Sykes said that this was a manufacturer's (STG) increase. That doesn't mean that BAT's royalties went up, too. Then again, I have no idea what BAT's arrangement is with STG. Maybe they get a percentage instead of a fixed fee.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I believe it went from $14.5 on average to $22.
screenshot_2018-01-14-13-53-48-337x600.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm stopping longer at the ads for bag tobaccos. They too are going up in price, but are still less.

Status
Not open for further replies.