PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I started taking the hobby/pastime/leisure activity/whatever more seriously about a year ago. I was drawn into it by the Dunhill monicker. I acquired a bunch of Dunhill pipes and a huge Dunhill cabinet/retail display cabinet. For whatever reason, I never got around to Dunhill blends. It wasn't a conscious decision or anything. I mentioned this to a fellow member who promptly sent me a care package. I have no excuse whatsoever now. Thanks to his generosity, Tis time to explore Dunhill tobacco!

Good stuff, at least Nightcap, Royal Yacht, and 965 are. The others that I have tried, I like very much, just better, more affordable alternatives out there, IMO. I've not tried Standard Mixture yet, but it is in my que for being opened next.
Good on your gifter, and lucky you. Enjoy!! I think you'll really like a few of these. Maybe more.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, that's a real curriculum in Dunhill blends. Take your time and enjoy the trip. You'll do well to jar them, even if you leave them in the bags, to make them last a little better while you sample at your leisure. I like GL Pease, Russ O., and Cornell & Diehl, but I also enjoy the Dunhill blends I've tried -- recently, London Mix, which is an impressive, well-balanced blend.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Wow, what a nice care package. I would be interested on your thoughts of the Elizabethan blend. Looking forward to your first impression of Dunhill. I will have to wait until Christmas to try a few under the tree :puffy:

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
I've had Nightcap and 965 thus far.

It took me a bit of time to get used to Nightcap as I was only smoking aro's at the time and had not been smoking a pipe for more than a couple of months...Once I moved to English blends and had a few more bowls of Nightcap I began to appreciate the blend.

I just got some 965 and right out of the bag I've really enjoyed the tobacco...it is fast becoming a favorite blend.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Over the past 17 years I still have only tried 4 dunhill blends. Emp, 965, nightcap, and deluxe navy rolls.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've smoked most of the Dunhills over the years. I've come down to 2, Nightcap and RY. Of the others, as someone said, there are competitive blends tasting similarly or the same, for quite a bit less money.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I like Night Cap and love Royal Yacht. Elizabethan Mixture is the only other one I've tried. EM has been moved to GhostBuster status.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
i enjoyed Virginia Ready Rubbed in the copper colored tin...released in the mid 80s. If they brought that one back I'd like to try it again. I'm not a fan of Latakia/Orientals, but always enjoyed London Mixture when the muse struck. Has a cool name too.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
That's a very thoughtful and kind care package - kudos to the gifter and good luck to you enjoying those bags! I'm extremely fortunate as Dunhill Tobacco (at 1a St James, Mayfair) is my local 'B&M' and I've smoked most of the Dunhill blends over the last 30-odd years. My drop-dead favourite is Deluxe Navy Rolls, but I also love Dunhill Flake and Royal Yacht. Strangely, I'm a nailed-on VaPer smoker, but I just can't get there with Elizabethan. Personal chemistry, I guess. You can find cheaper alternatives to most of the Dunhill blends, but you get what you pay for; to my mind the consistently high quality, finish and packaging of Dunhill are worth the extra pennies.
Andy

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
Deluxe Navy Rolls are sublime when aged for a few years. I like Nightcap too but prefer Ashton's Artisan Blend. I never got that much out of 965 though but my daily smoke is G&H Balkan Flake after which everything seems to pale a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.