PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I'm currently smoking my first bowl of the new Dunhill The Aperitif in the smoking room at Dunhill Tobacco at 1A James' Street, London. It's wonderful! I also have a couple of tins of Durbar. Before anyone asks, I'm not about to do a review because a) I'm crap at them, and b) I never smoked the original, so have nothing to compare to. The pictures below were taken in the Master Blender's Room at Dunhill:
8OGNGGl.png

L4Lmgf5.png

SyC8oKr.png

I've spoken to Robert Emery, the main man here, and they are happy to take orders online. The website is 1Astjames.com. You should also note that CondorLover is also currently visiting London from New York - I'm sure he could fit a few tins in his pack (sorry Simon!).
Durbar next!
Andy

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You're a fortunate man to be at the Holy See of pipedom. Please do a review. I for one believe that these revived blends should be judged on their own merits so it is a good thing that you have not had the original blends. You'll have no bias to sway your opinions and we'd love to hear your thoughts. Happy Smoke Rings.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for sharing Andy - that is awesome, I am very jealous.
Also - I can't get over the giant "SMOKING KILLS" on the tins. I move we put "DRIVING KILLS" on all automobiles as well. As well as every single thing that poses a threat to life, including but not limited to: pharmaceuticals, skydiving equipment, bath tubs, staircases...
We need protecting!

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Also - I can't get over the giant "SMOKING KILLS" on the tins. I move we put "DRIVING KILLS" on all automobiles as well. As well as every single thing that poses a threat to life, including but not limited to: pharmaceuticals, skydiving equipment, bath tubs, staircases...
We need protecting!
LMAO
What would we do without them?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
What I want to know is if you saw any pipe ghosts "in the smoking room at Dunhill Tobacco at 1A James' Street, London." Was the room awesome?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
papipeguy wrote:
"I for one believe that these revived blends should be judged on their own merits..."
+1!
Now that we've seen a couple of beloved names from the past revived for the current market, I think a lot of long-time smokers can't help but say, "Well, this isn't anything like the _______ I smoked back in 19__!" Of course, the manufacturers themselves invite that kind of comparison by even using the names of storied blends in the first place. They're wanting to capitalize on former glory. . . so they should be willing to take the heat when the inevitable comparisons get made.
But having said all that: I believe such comparisons are misguided. There is simply no way that a modern blend will taste like you remember that blend tasting 30-50 years ago. For a whole bunch of reasons. So forget that the tin says Three Nuns or Balkan Sobranie or Durbar or Aperitif. Is it good on its own terms, as a blend that justifies its existence in the marketplace? If so: Enjoy! If not, it doesn't matter what name is on the tin.
I've only tried one of these "revised" four. And I have to say, for me, Balkan Sobranie is a spectacular blend in its own right. And I'd like to think I'd come to that conclusion even if the name on the tin was "Joe's Urine-Soaked Grass Clippings." Although I might be more reluctant to open that tin in the first place...
Bob

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Mike - the store has been totally revamped, so no ghosts yet! You can see the layout best here: http://www.retail-focus.co.uk/projects/1071-project-dunhill-tobacco-of-london - I'm currently sitting in the green chair under the lamp on the right as you look at the picture. The focus is really on cigars, hence the big walk-in humidor, but they carry all of the Dunhill pipe tobaccos, a range of (non-Dunhill) pipes, and you can 'sample' pipe tobacco for as long as you like in the smoking room.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.