PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I've been looking at this one but doesn't the tenon hole seems awfully small for a size 5? The number is 51031. Plus the rim edge is slightly charred. Is it worth $325?
1_250_pipe7.jpg

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Dunhills aren't known for their huge draw, so don't look for that. 325? It's a Dunhill, that makes it irrational on an epic scale. If you think it's good, it is good.

I won't tell you how much I paid for a birth year root briar that struck my fancy. It would make yours seem like the deal of the century.

Regardless, have fun.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Its only worth it if you think it is..if you REALLY want it. If you're questioning it, chances are its maybe not.

Hope that makes sense...

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
For a group 5 that price is not unreasonable but as Chris stated "it only worth it if YOU think it is".

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I paid 550 for a ODA Paneled shell, colcot reading your posts IMHO you need to buy a group 6 or a ODA, good size but you will pay 5 to 7 hundred dollars, but I believe you will be happy with it, I think I saw an ODA on e-bay thatcoopersark had the old cajun

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Pull the trigger. just about the things that you'd spend $350 on that won't be around in a week. Groceries? Short 3 day vacation? Dinner at Le Bec Fin? The Dunhill will last longer, give you greater pleasure and make you happier. No brianer- go for it before someone else here does and then posts picturers of "your" pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
old cajun, I was watching that oda, reason it went so cheap was because the bowl was out of round. I personally would not spend 325.00 for a group 5.
Colcolt, I could have bought an ODA from the 70's for around 300.00 recently. I would keep looking if it is a Dunhill you have your heart set on. Go group 6 or ODA, they are out there for 325.00 or less.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I decided I'm gonna ask for a birth year Dunhill for my birthday. As for my money, I'm getting that group Storient Meer (cuz I'm a sucker for Meerschaum) and a TRG next.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I have several of what I call my 15-20 minute pipes and was more or less looking for one a bit larger to give a longer smoke and a size 6 or like the ODA size cajun mentioned would fit the bill. Of course, as you go up in size so does the price be they new or estate pipes. A good size Upshall isn't out of the question either as they are superb pipes from all I've read.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
colcolt, you can get a large Upshall for much less and they smoke as well if not better than Dunhill's in my opinion. You should also look at a large Ardor. The one I just got is one of the best smoking pipes I have ever owned and I have owned some 800.00 plus pipes. I will send you a pm with a couple of links to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.