Tags:   

Dunhill "Royal Yacht"

(92 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by freakiefrog
  • Latest reply from derfargin
  1. freakiefrog

freakiefrog

Login to Send PM

So after hearing the pod-cast with the gentleman that is a big "Royal Yacht" fan it pushed me over the edge about wanting to try it. So I did a trade with swhipple on this site. Well I was super excited when it came in I was over whelmed with the smell in the tin. The raw tobacco was soft, well cut and beautifully packed. The leaf packed in the bowl very nicely. It didn't require any drying for my taste before it was packed. I'm going to have to smoke a few more bowls before I can really pick up on the true flavor..

Now for the hat trick, the issue can from standing up when I was done with the bowl. HOLY HELL. It's been year since the ole "N" monster has sneaked up on me. I was dizzy, sweating, the whole bit.. LOL

Going to have to approach this one with a little tenderly. LOL over all a good smoke, but Lord have Mercy. Must remember smoke slower and sip.. LOL

Anybody else notice it?

I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new.
    Robert W. Service
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The one and only time I've ever smoked Royal Yacht was back in the mid-1980s. It made enough of a (negative) impact on me then to keep me away for good!

But I agree: If I hadn't already tasted and been turned off by it, that interview with PipeStud would have gotten me to try it. It was a great one, and he's clearly enthusiastic about the blend.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. freakiefrog

freakiefrog

Login to Send PM

I'm going to give it a good try. I've smoked really strong cigars for years so it's somthing I've seen in allot of Rocky Patel "Sungrown" stick's I just wasn't expecting it. I'm not willing to give up on it as of just yet. I'll smoke another couple of bowls then maybe let it age for a year or two and see.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. rosney

rosney

Login to Send PM

I bought a tin for the very same reason. The guy at my B&M had a tin open so I tried a tiny bit and I could feel the vitamin N just from that. I am leary of trying it now because of a recent run in with some jacknife plug so it may have to sit in the cellar for a bit before I am brave enough to try it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. freakiefrog

freakiefrog

Login to Send PM

all I can tell ya is don't try it on an empty stomach. Like I said I'm use to strong cigars so when I know it's coming I can prepare for it, big glass of water, maybe a snack while I'm puffing and puff slower than normal. This one really snuck up on me..

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. philobeddoe

philobeddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Buy a pouch of Five Brothers, after smoking that Royal Yacht will seem fairly tame. I enjoy Royal Yacht from time to time, and I agree that it's no lightweight, but I don't feel it's any stronger than University Flake or Solani ABF.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. eazye77

eazye77

Login to Send PM

I plan on ordering a tin of this myself. For those who have had Dunhill Night Cap and tried the RY, would it be safe to safe that RY is a bit stronger? Just asking.

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cedeks

cedeks

Login to Send PM

It is really strong blend by all means, couldn't go throw the first bowl. Kept it stored for a year... things got better or at least good enough for me to finish the bowl hehehe... any way the tin is back in storage area for another period hoping it will be smokable after that...

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I, too, tried it many years ago and didn't like it. I didn't find it blow-your-head-off strong, but it can sneak up on you -- like Philo said, I'd stack the Nicotine level about the same as Peterson Univ. but a notch down from Irish Flake. I tried and smoked up the rest of that tin of Royal Yacht after a 3-4 years in the jar -- it had mellowed out and sweetened so it was considerably more palatable, but still not my thing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is a reason it's nickname is Royal Yuck. lol Fallon is one of the few who go insane over this one. His tastes are shall I say a bit eclectic. If you have ever read his reviews over at TR, you will know what I mean.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. dlattim

dlattim

Login to Send PM

Royal Yacht is in my regular tobacco rotation. Smoking a bowl right now. It's not an all day smoke, but I rather like the N kick after a good meal and before bed. I admit that at times I have smoked it on an empty stomach. Then comes the sweat and yuckee stomach. I do like the sweetness of the Virginias in the blend. Certainly not a blend for noobies unless they've smoked cigs for years. Even then, look out!

If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

I find the topping takes a little getting used to.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. swhipple

swhipple

Login to Send PM

I guess I should have warned you. Hope your feeling better!

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. jharvard

jharvard

Login to Send PM

Interesting. I find Royal Yacht to be a medium smoke. It's been in my rotation for many years though so that could have something to do with it. Everyone's taste sure are different. Thanks for sharing your stories. Cheers!

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've heard the "Royal Yak", (or yuck) nickname, and really don't understand it. The flavor and aroma are intense, but that's part of the attraction. Sure, the delicate, subtle flavors and depth of a VaPer or pure VA flake are great, and that's an excellent tobacco to sit and enjoy at a time when you can contemplate the tobacco, but the slap-in-the-face flavor, strength, and aroma of RY are equally as nice, just in a different way. You could be driving a race car and still notice the tobacco your smoking without having to think about it.

One other thing about Dunhill tobaccos...I've never gotten my hands on a tin that needed drying, they are ready to smoke as soon as you crack it open. That's something I never took for granted.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

If you have ever read his reviews over at TR, you will know what I mean.

Wasn't it you, Harris, who said that, when you came back to pipe smoking, you poured over tobaccoreviews.com -- and one of the best ways for you to judge the good from a the bad choice in pipe tobacco was simple:

AVOID blends Pipestud rated highly and BUY blends Pipestud hated

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

jharvard said:

"I find Royal Yacht to be a medium smoke. It's been in my rotation for many years though so that could have something to do with it. Everyone's taste sure are different."

I couldn't agree more. After having read posts and reviews a couple of months ago, I was expecting to be struck by a cannon. In fact, I found RY to be mild with a pleasant bouquet; even the wife likes it.
    RY has become my favorite, and I nearly hugged my tobacconist when he brought in 5 new tins today.

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

Well, I guess I will order some Royal Yacht up and give it a try.

I quite like the Dunhill tobacco's so far, tried EMP, NC and ...Standard Mixture..........loved them all. Can't see any reason why Royal Yacht would be much different.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I guess I will order some Royal Yacht up and give it a try.

I quite like the Dunhill tobacco's so far, tried EMP, NC and ...Standard Mixture..........loved them all. Can't see any reason why Royal Yacht would be much different.

If you haven't tried it, yes, you certainly should. Seems most have either a love it or hate it opinion, you should find out which side of the fence you land on

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

slownumbers39 said:

"I quite like the Dunhill tobacco's so far, tried EMP, NC and ...Standard Mixture..........loved them all. Can't see any reason why Royal Yacht would be much different."

Actually, RY is quite different from EMP and NC, since the latter two are typical English blends featuring Latakia, whereas RY is more heavily Virginia.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

If you haven't tried it, yes, you certainly should. Seems most have either a love it or hate it opinion, you should find out which side of the fence you land on

I think I will give it a try, I have coveted Dunhill for quite while before I tried it, and once I did, I was very happy with the tobacco.

Actually, RY is quite different from EMP and NC, since the latter two are typical English blends featuring Latakia, whereas RY is more heavily Virginia.

Unfortunately I not a very sophisticated pipe smoker yet. I think it is worth a try, I might like something a bit different in the Dunhill line come think of it. Likely I will be fine with it, and if not I can likely find someone to share it with, no worries and thank you for the information, re: Virgina, appreciated.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. kris

kris

Login to Send PM

Royal Yacht tastes to me predominatly like raisins. I like raisins. Also, add my voice to the "it's not a nic-bomb" crowd.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately I not a very sophisticated pipe smoker yet. I think it is worth a try, I might like something a bit different in the Dunhill line come think of it. Likely I will be fine with it, and if not I can likely find someone to share it with, no worries and thank you for the information, re: Virgina, appreciated.

Consider yourself lucky. When your taste becomes "sophisticated", you're going to get turned off of many tobaccos you enjoy now. My taste didn't necessarily become sophisticated, but matured and narrowed. I used to be able to smoke CBW and while not exactly love it, it was OK. Now, I really can't stand it, and in fact most aromatics put me off completely. I can tolerate a few but that's at best. The toppings they use on them is what does it, I think. It's overpowering. I think if it were just a hint of chocolate, or figs'n'raisins, or vanilla, or whatever, I think it would be OK.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd only been smoking a pipe for four years when I tried RY (which is probably a mistake in itself), but all I was able to write in my tasting book back in 1985 was "Black cherry undertones, but very strong. Not pleasant for smoker or guest."

I also noted that there was something in Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture that reminded me -- unfavorably -- of Royal Yacht. Don't know if they shared similar ingredients or not. . . (And Elizabethan is long gone now.)

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Keeping a record of your impressions of a tobacco is a fantastic idea, and I wish I'd thought to do it myself years ago, when it would've mattered.

Ever considered posting what you've written?

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mikephillips:

I actually just started a thread about keeping a tasting journal in the Tobacco Discussion section, after it occurred to me that maybe not everyone does that.

A lot of my more-recent journal entries have ended up, expanded upon, on TobaccoReviews.com. But my actual journal entries aren't really "reviews," per se. More 2/3 review and 1/3 reflection.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. eazye77

eazye77

Login to Send PM

I'm with you mike. Me and aros just don't get along anymore. I had H&H Egg Nog over the holiday. It was good, but won't buy it again. To me pipe smoking is like foods you had as a child that are not cutting it anymore as an adult. You just out grow it.

Side note: My first tobacco I smoked as a newbie was Mac Baren 7 Seas. Thanks God I didn't get turned off from smoking pipes by that blend. Tongue bit all day until I taught myself how to smoke it. LOL.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tongue bit all day until I taught myself how to smoke it.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but this makes me wonder: What led you to stick with it long enough to figure out how to best approach it? There must have been something there that you liked well enough to put in the time, right?

There are a couple of blends I've tried over the years that I dumped without finishing even one bowl. I knew immediately I didn't like them, and I'm not likely to give them a second chance. But others -- and Royal Yacht might fall into this category for some -- may be worth a longer trial period.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but this makes me wonder: What led you to stick with it long enough to figure out how to best approach it? There must have been something there that you liked well enough to put in the time, right?

If he's like me, he probably just figured that it was the nature of pipe tobacco to burn the crap out of your mouth, and that he'd get used to it. Really, when I first started the pipe I thought all pipe smokers must be some tough SOB's to tolerate that for so many years and I figured if they could do it, so could I...I lasted a few months, then quit. It wasn't until a couple years later when I met a master chief in my command who was a pipe smoker that taught me a little about what was going on and I picked up the hobby again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. eazye77

eazye77

Login to Send PM

Well Bob,

I was brand new and didn't know about the different blends like I do today. Yes I had TB, but it wasn't enough to make me quite. I would give it a rest for a few days and try it again. It could have been my first pipe as well. i just know that I wanted to get into it and I had a lot to learn. Now granted if it would have continued, then I would have given it up totally. I just took my time with it because I thought I was doing something wrong, but it turned out to be the tobacco. Needless to say that I have never smoked it again since I bought my first tin of it. Not a big Mac Baren fan.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. eazye77

eazye77

Login to Send PM

Thanks Mike!

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just happened to see this if you love this brand and want to see what 25 years will do to it:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunhill-Royal-Yacht-Tobacco-tin-50g-tin-/221179721450?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337f56b6ea

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

roth, lol that might work if he was consistent, but there are some blends that he likes that I agree with, but others almost the exact same thing he hates. He is the most prolific reviewer on the site with 1000 reviews. For example, he gives Escudo a 4 star rating but gives Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls a 1 star. Those two blends are so similar that I could see maybe giving the NR a 3 because it is a tad sweeter, but a 1, it makes no sense.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just happened to see this if you love this brand and want to see what 25 years will do to it:

Wouldn't mind having it, but I try not to "treat" myself to old tobacco unless I already own it. No sense in falling in love with something I'll probably never smoke again

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I plan on trying a bunch of dunhills stuff when P&C puts them on sale in May. Buy 2 tins get 1 free. Great opportunity to get a jump start, or add to your cellar for cheap.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That will bring the price on a tin of RY down to something reasonable, if I haven't decided on something else before then (or maybe even if I have) I'll probably have to order a couple dozen tins.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'll try to place an order at P&C in May when Dunhill goes on sale as well.

I say "I'll try" because I'm thinking that we'll be seeing that ubiquitous "OUT OF STOCK" moniker a lot after the sale starts {sigh}.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

This thread made me go back to this tobacco. I bought a tin about a year ago, and maybe smoked 5 bowls. It was not really my thing. Just opened it back up packed and lit a bowl. The harsh flavor has really toned down. I'm not getting an unpleasant scratch in the back of my throat. The vitamin N is still there, but now the taste is pleasant. For me I would have to say that time has done its duty.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First, I am eagerly awaiting that sale! :lol

I have smoked RY a couple of times and I really like it. I like Va/VaPers but the "difference" in this blend is something I find pleasantly surprising and different. My son actually bought the tin, I didn't think I'd like the stuff. But so far every Dunhill blend I've tried (4), including this one, I really enjoy.

Greg
    Posted 1 year ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

After listening to a lot of fairly new puffers and reading a lot of reviews on line, I've come to believe that, much too often, the pipe tobacco blend gets the blame, totally unfairly, for what is actually a serious lack of proper smoking technique on the part of the smoker.

OK, not always, and yes there are some puffers who have a physical aversion to certain stains of tobacco leaves, but -- especially with virginia blends -- if you don't smoke them correctly, it will reward you with bite and burn.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This thread made me go back to this tobacco. I bought a tin about a year ago, and maybe smoked 5 bowls. It was not really my thing. Just opened it back up packed and lit a bowl. The harsh flavor has really toned down. I'm not getting an unpleasant scratch in the back of my throat. The vitamin N is still there, but now the taste is pleasant. For me I would have to say that time has done its duty.

Tastes change over time, too, could be that your taste in tobacco has changed as much, maybe more than the tobacco itself.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll try to place an order at P&C in May when Dunhill goes on sale as well.

I say "I'll try" because I'm thinking that we'll be seeing that ubiquitous "OUT OF STOCK" moniker a lot after the sale starts {sigh}.

Well if you place an order for Nightcap, that I see going out of stock very fast. If you get your order in before it's listed as backordered on the site, they will honor the order and sale price and not charge you until it does ship. In fact they will ship your other things, and just charge you for what was shipped. So if you plan to buy a bunch of tins, and we know that's going to happen, just get your order in before its listed backordered when you can't add it. I plan to buy, well a lot of it, and I think it will be gone first day. Sometimes P&C gets it right in a business sense. If there is a large amount people buying lets say 20 tins+, they should fill the small orders to keep the people happy (and save themselves shipping), and knowing that the larger orders are just storing, put those on back order. But that may be too much business sense for them. It may make sense to actaully add something to an order that would force them to dual ship, to get yours filled?

Craig

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Craig you might be right. I have seen what you say to be the case from some vendors I've placed orders with.

I'm certainly not in a hurry, and being able to place an order on a back ordered product, at the sale price, for delivery once the product is back in stock is a non-issue for me. I can wait; it's not like I am going to run out of tobacco anytime soon.

It has been my experience, however, that I have not always been able to do this.

I suppose I'll just have to wait and see.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. easydraw

easydraw

Login to Send PM

Did I miss something about pipes and cigars having a sale? Or are prices going to go up? RY was going to be on my order list to try in Feb.

Man can not live on bread alone.... Unless you lock him in a cage and thats all you feed him!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Did I miss something about pipes and cigars having a sale? Or are prices going to go up? RY was going to be on my order list to try in Feb.

The Pipes and Cigars 2013 calendar, that ships free with orders ATM, specifies the specific P&C "monthly sales" for each month in 2013. So, to answer your question, there a sale at P&C every month. This month it's 10% off regular prices on Bjarne pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. easydraw

easydraw

Login to Send PM

OK Rothnh,

Had me worried for a minuet! I have a big order im putting in to cover a broad spectrum didnt know if I should wait tell May.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried this stuff and it was underwhelming. Doesn't suit my taste.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

dragonslayer: $43.99 for an aged tin? The activity of buying and ageing tobacco just became a potential future business in case I get very old. As for Royal yacht, a pipe dealer sent me a free tin. I liked the taste very much, but it started to turn my stomach about 2/3 to 3/4 through the smoke. The problem was aggravated by smoking it in a #6 Dunhill shell. Large Dunhill shells mess up my stomach with any tobacco. So I tossed it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

Fortunatelly I found a tin of Royal Yacht in my mearger stash. I think I will save it for spring and savour it then. Might have to buy a couple more before that time; I am pretty confident that I will like it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. eazye77

eazye77

Login to Send PM

I finally got the nerve to open my tin of this RY two nights ago. I agree that it is one of those blends that you love or hate and I really really like it! Very earthy and green tasting to me. Almost like what green moss would taste like if you smoked it. Meaning, "it taste how it smells" deal when burning.

Anyway, the smell out the tin has a fruity smell like fresh figs which is cool. As I smoked it, it is very strong indeed. You really have to sip this one for sure. However, the vitamin N in the blend didn't hit me until I got to the end of the bowl and it was pretty deep bowl at that. Might be because I am a Night Cap fan so maybe I am use to it. All in all it was very good to me. This is something I would smoke at night with a stiff drink to relax with.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. zdwebb12

zdwebb12

Login to Send PM

I'll have to try some Royal Yacht. I love tobaccos with a good N-kick. I have some Dunhill Flake jarred up and if any of you pure VA lovers haven't tried it I highly recommend it.

“Pipe: a primary masculine symbol with authoritarian overtones but also indicative of reliability and contentment.”
    -The Dictionary of Visual Language, 1980
    Posted 1 year ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

planetscott

Login to Send PM

This was my father's favorite, so he gave me a tin. It was so very overwhelming I could not handle it. I tried several times but had to admit defeat. Too bad as it was pleasant until I got dizzy, sweaty and nervous.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. quincy

quincy

Login to Send PM

Royal Yacht was the first Non drugstore blend I ever tried in 1998. I did NOT like it. I went into my B&M the other day to see if they had Dunhill Flake, Early Morning, or Nightcap and he was out of all three. Jerry the Wizard then recommended I try RY. I told him he tried that on me when I was 18 and didn't know any better! He assured me that it was different now. It really is. They changed the blend up a bit although it was long enough now, that I can't tell you how. I like it a lot! I keep the tin with me for my car smoking. If you are trying to cut smoking nails, I've found this, University Flake, and Irish flake so far satisfy my vitamin N urges. I will get the other Dunhills as soon as the Wizard has 'em in. He promised to set some aside for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I tried this again last week and thought I gave it short shrift the first time. It is quite good and I will continue with the tin I have and enjoy it. Dunhill tobaccos have always impressed me with their quality.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't really tell any change in the last 15 years or so, seems like the same Yacht to me, though maybe those that have smoked it steadily during that time can say whether that's true or not.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. quincy

quincy

Login to Send PM

I remember it being really wet for some reason and for some reason I remember it looking darker too. It may just be me and that my taste and memory have changed. Either way, I like it more now than I did before.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a fascinating thread. It's a study in the differences in the sense of taste and also all the other
    variables in pipe smoking. Two Dunhill tobaccos, Nightcap and 965, are favorites. Their Standard
    Mixtures not so much. For some reason, I've never tried Royal Yacht, but this moves it from the
    "maybe someday" to " sooner or later" list. Experiences on this thread run from love-at-first-smoke,
    to ho-hum, to knocked on my ear. Thanks for all the various reports; they make this blend a
    real destination tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Dunhill fans:

If anyone missed it, SmokingPipes.com has a sale going through April -- buy any 5 tins of the same Dunhill blend, and your 5th tin is free. I snagged 5 Dunhill Flake tins, $8.32 each.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/dunhill/index.cfm

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. murf

murf

Login to Send PM

i really hope P&C isn't going to run out of tins for their sale. I was hoping to get one of each, as the only dunhill I've ever tried was 965 bulk, and I didn't like it

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Login to Send PM

I find the taste of RY doesn't deliver on the tin note's promise. There's a hint of VA sweetness but overwhelmed by the peppery tongue sensation of the Perique, otherwise there is very little taste or aroma. It's almost like a little black pepper sprinkled on a cigarette. Having always thought cigarettes taste gross, maybe that's why I'm not warming up to RY.

Posted 8 months ago #
  61. andrew

andrew

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I totally have to try this blend, it was Stalin's favourite. Just thinking about that makes me want to try it.

Posted 8 months ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've moved from the "sooner or later" category on RY to owning an unopened tin which I am aging for a spell. After all the
    discussion, I will start with a small bowl and smoke it slow, and see what happens. I enjoyed a tin of Nightcap after an
    over-large bowl smoked way too fast. Luckily, it was late in the evening, so it was a nightcap.

Posted 8 months ago #
  63. andrew

andrew

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just can't stop thinking about the fact it was the last thing so many people must of smelled as they were poisoned at their last meal eating with Stalin....

Posted 8 months ago #
  64. 4nogginsmike

4nogginsmike

Login to Send PM

A tasty strong VA, but for me nothing to write home about.

Posted 8 months ago #
  65. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Andrew I was going to ask you what the fascination with Stalin is? Between the Great Purge where hundreds of thousands were killed and the imprisonment of millions in labor camps you would figure that would turn people off to Stalin. lol

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  66. andrew

andrew

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know, the thought of sitting there smoking Royal Yacht and making lists of who's a kulak and who isn't just gives me a thrill. I guess it's the fact in the end he was a very powerful man who started his life as a bank robber. I'm also very much into Pol Pot, pretty much all the villains. I like the dark side of history.

Posted 8 months ago #
  67. User has not uploaded an avatar

fideau

Login to Send PM

Royal Yacht was my daily smoke for about a year, along with Peterson's Sherlock Holmes now and then. Suddenly I seemed to lose my taste for it. Then the Sherlock seemed to be different, even the tin was changed and I think the mix was changed. Haven't tried any in years but I used to love it.
    I too suppressed a laugh when I bought a few tins at JR Cigar and the cashier said "Royal Yak, we sell a bunch o'dat."

Posted 8 months ago #
  68. jthomas04

jthomas04

Login to Send PM

I'm guessing that andrew is just trolling this thread with his juvenile posts, maybe not, but as for Royal Yacht, I think it's a decent tobacco. I don't find it to be too strong or nicotine heavy. Not my favorite out of the Dunhill line up, but not my least either.

Posted 8 months ago #
  69. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Login to Send PM

A week later I'm still working my way through the first of 3 tins of RY (why the hell did I order 3 you ask? To save on shipping cost ). Still tastes like really strong unfiltered cigarette, like Gauloises if you've ever smoked them. Not an aro, not an English. No flavor or aroma at all, just...smoke. And I also find that unless I smoke it super S-L-O-W, by halfway through even a small bowl it starts to taste foul. But if there's a trick to enjoying RY I'm going to find it...by the end of the 3rd tin probably

Posted 8 months ago #
  70. 4nogginsmike

4nogginsmike

Login to Send PM

Royal Yacht is the only straight VA of which I know this an HO or high octane/high nicotine blend. Fine straight VA in any case.

Posted 7 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   twoonefive, kendodan, beefeater33, jondalawyer, smokeybear, txbeerboy, nepenthe1, ruger414, phil67, jfox520, andya27, edgreen, irish, crazyhog, coalsmoke, smorgdonkey