PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
So after hearing the pod-cast with the gentleman that is a big "Royal Yacht" fan it pushed me over the edge about wanting to try it. So I did a trade with swhipple on this site. Well I was super excited when it came in I was over whelmed with the smell in the tin. The raw tobacco was soft, well cut and beautifully packed. The leaf packed in the bowl very nicely. It didn't require any drying for my taste before it was packed. I'm going to have to smoke a few more bowls before I can really pick up on the true flavor..
Now for the hat trick, the issue can from standing up when I was done with the bowl. HOLY HELL. It's been year since the ole "N" monster has sneaked up on me. I was dizzy, sweating, the whole bit.. LOL
Going to have to approach this one with a little tenderly. LOL over all a good smoke, but Lord have Mercy. Must remember smoke slower and sip.. LOL
Anybody else notice it?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
The one and only time I've ever smoked Royal Yacht was back in the mid-1980s. It made enough of a (negative) impact on me then to keep me away for good!
But I agree: If I hadn't already tasted and been turned off by it, that interview with PipeStud would have gotten me to try it. It was a great one, and he's clearly enthusiastic about the blend.
Bob

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I'm going to give it a good try. I've smoked really strong cigars for years so it's somthing I've seen in allot of Rocky Patel "Sungrown" stick's I just wasn't expecting it. I'm not willing to give up on it as of just yet. I'll smoke another couple of bowls then maybe let it age for a year or two and see.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
I bought a tin for the very same reason. The guy at my B&M had a tin open so I tried a tiny bit and I could feel the vitamin N just from that. I am leary of trying it now because of a recent run in with some jacknife plug so it may have to sit in the cellar for a bit before I am brave enough to try it.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
all I can tell ya is don't try it on an empty stomach. Like I said I'm use to strong cigars so when I know it's coming I can prepare for it, big glass of water, maybe a snack while I'm puffing and puff slower than normal. This one really snuck up on me..

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Buy a pouch of Five Brothers, after smoking that Royal Yacht will seem fairly tame. I enjoy Royal Yacht from time to time, and I agree that it's no lightweight, but I don't feel it's any stronger than University Flake or Solani ABF.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I plan on ordering a tin of this myself. For those who have had Dunhill Night Cap and tried the RY, would it be safe to safe that RY is a bit stronger? Just asking.
Thanks!

cedeks

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2012
It is really strong blend by all means, couldn't go throw the first bowl. Kept it stored for a year... things got better or at least good enough for me to finish the bowl hehehe... any way the tin is back in storage area for another period hoping it will be smokable after that...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There is a reason it's nickname is Royal Yuck. lol Fallon is one of the few who go insane over this one. His tastes are shall I say a bit eclectic. If you have ever read his reviews over at TR, you will know what I mean.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Royal Yacht is in my regular tobacco rotation. Smoking a bowl right now. It's not an all day smoke, but I rather like the N kick after a good meal and before bed. I admit that at times I have smoked it on an empty stomach. Then comes the sweat and yuckee stomach. I do like the sweetness of the Virginias in the blend. Certainly not a blend for noobies unless they've smoked cigs for years. Even then, look out!

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
Interesting. I find Royal Yacht to be a medium smoke. It's been in my rotation for many years though so that could have something to do with it. Everyone's taste sure are different. Thanks for sharing your stories. Cheers! :puffpipe:

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
jharvard said:
"I find Royal Yacht to be a medium smoke. It's been in my rotation for many years though so that could have something to do with it. Everyone's taste sure are different."
I couldn't agree more. After having read posts and reviews a couple of months ago, I was expecting to be struck by a cannon. In fact, I found RY to be mild with a pleasant bouquet; even the wife likes it.

RY has become my favorite, and I nearly hugged my tobacconist when he brought in 5 new tins today.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Well, I guess I will order some Royal Yacht up and give it a try.
I quite like the Dunhill tobacco's so far, tried EMP, NC and ...Standard Mixture..........loved them all. Can't see any reason why Royal Yacht would be much different.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
slownumbers39 said:
"I quite like the Dunhill tobacco's so far, tried EMP, NC and ...Standard Mixture..........loved them all. Can't see any reason why Royal Yacht would be much different."
Actually, RY is quite different from EMP and NC, since the latter two are typical English blends featuring Latakia, whereas RY is more heavily Virginia.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
If you haven't tried it, yes, you certainly should. Seems most have either a love it or hate it opinion, you should find out which side of the fence you land on
I think I will give it a try, I have coveted Dunhill for quite while before I tried it, and once I did, I was very happy with the tobacco.
Actually, RY is quite different from EMP and NC, since the latter two are typical English blends featuring Latakia, whereas RY is more heavily Virginia.
Unfortunately I not a very sophisticated pipe smoker yet. I think it is worth a try, I might like something a bit different in the Dunhill line come think of it. Likely I will be fine with it, and if not I can likely find someone to share it with, no worries and thank you for the information, re: Virgina, appreciated.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Royal Yacht tastes to me predominatly like raisins. I like raisins. Also, add my voice to the "it's not a nic-bomb" crowd.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'd only been smoking a pipe for four years when I tried RY (which is probably a mistake in itself), but all I was able to write in my tasting book back in 1985 was "Black cherry undertones, but very strong. Not pleasant for smoker or guest." ;)
I also noted that there was something in Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture that reminded me -- unfavorably -- of Royal Yacht. Don't know if they shared similar ingredients or not. . . (And Elizabethan is long gone now.)
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
mikephillips:
I actually just started a thread about keeping a tasting journal in the Tobacco Discussion section, after it occurred to me that maybe not everyone does that.
A lot of my more-recent journal entries have ended up, expanded upon, on TobaccoReviews.com. But my actual journal entries aren't really "reviews," per se. More 2/3 review and 1/3 reflection.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.