New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
At $3190 would you add it to your collection or go with artisan commissioned pipe?
Ou2mjOu.jpg

IgV0c4o.jpg

5UguTX5.jpg

hWWhuMZ.jpg

YuwJYHs.jpg

iSMQr6Y.jpg

s8wSHeN.jpg

6VRF37r.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I might have gone to $3150, but that extra $40 is just too much! :wink: OK, seriously, that's WAY out of my price range, by about $2990... As an aside, does anyone else think that button is a little bit large? I'm not a "clencher" so that probably affects my point of view.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Life is short. If you can afford it an still pay the bills on time, Pull the trigger.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Don't get me wrong, I would be willing to shell out that kind of cash for a hand made. :wink:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There's just something about one of a kind hand made pieces that factory pipes can't touch for me.
img_20160905_193725-337x600.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd probably go with a modern artisan creation and save a few grand.

My White Dot 3108 has a button like that and it is quite comfortable.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
That is a gorgeous dog, but no better than some vintage Comoys and Ashtons. I would buy another vintage Comoy AND a new shotgun for that money. If commissioning a pipe I would go with Chris Askwith, he makes a nice dog.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Perhaps it shouldn't be so. I opted for my Michael Parks commission over a Dunhill I wanted. The truth? Years from now the Dunhill will be worth serious cash, whether it should be or not, and the artisan pipe LIKELY won't. The Dunhill is the better "investment" and the artesian commission is the better pipe to enjoy. My point is that if it's maintained and cared for, the Dunhill isn't quite so insane as it seems on its surface.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
If it floats your boat, go for it I say, especially after the year you seem to have had Chris. My boat is staying in the dry dock.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@Nate - that's possible and you are right on the value of a Parks two decades from now. But, once smoked, I suspect the Dunhills value wouldn't reach or eclipse the purchase price for just as many decades.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
@SSJONES, I agree. My only point was that a used Dunhill, especially a DR4, will retain its value more than a Parks or any other current artisan pipe would, for right or wrong.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
It's out of my price range and I don't really like bulldog shape pipes but I'd lose the band and drop three of the stars. If this pipe needed a band I'd rather see 18k inlayed band and the loose birdseye, bald spot and the random cut grain above the rings seem over graded. I wonder what Mr. Richard would have graded this? 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.