PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I have been a pipe smoker for a little over a year now and I have collected what I believe to be a good selection of quality new and estate pipes. The one pipe I do not have in my collection is a Dunhill pipe. When I look at the selection of estate pipes particularly on eBay I find the Dunhill pipes to be so much more expensive than any other brand almost. Can someone explain what makes a Dunhill pipe worth more than the other pipes around it? Is the structure of the pipe so different to warrant the value? Just curious. I have some very nice Stanwells that smoke beautifully and some Vauen, Butz Choquin, and Peterson pipes that are outstanding. What makes Dunhill pipes more valuable price wise?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The loaded question. Dunhills have a large and avid collector market, so more people are willing to pay more for a Dunhill. In an auction situation there is more competition for especially desirable pieces. Is it worth the extra money? Well, that's a matter of contentious debate. Some people love them, others do not.

Dunhill produced some beautiful shapes and finishes, and their early blasts are very highly prized.

I own about 16 of them. They're good pipes. Are they better than all others? In my experience, no. They're just good pipes.

Alfred Dunhill was a genius at marketing. Pipes were part of a wide range of luxury goods that celebrated the "good life". Over the years Dunhill's marketing built up quite a mystique.

So if you want to have a Dunhill in your collection go right ahead. But if you're expecting some revelatory experience that puts all other makes in the shade, you may be disappointed.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I think Sable has hit the nail on the head. It is all down to marketing. Yes, they make a good pipe - but is the improvement in smoking performance directly proportional to the increase in price - no! But the same could be said about a Bo Nordh selling at $15,000 - it may be a wonderful pipe but it is not going to perform 100 times better than a $150 pipe.
It is because there is a collectable market for such pieces. Also, you have to remember that although the price of Dunhill estates may seem high, have a look at the price of a new Dunhill and you will see that in relative terms, you are still getting a bargain. The story looked at from two different sides produces two different results :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What warrants the price? Aura. An item is worth what someone will pay for it.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
No. The Dunhills are fine pipes but not worth the market value when compared to quality of smoke. Too many variables.
You might also try Brebbia pipes to go with your collection/rotation.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I do think Dunhill uses higher quality materials than the other companies you mentioned. Fit, finish and engineering are also, in my opinion, superior to Vauen, BC, and Peterson. So yes, I would say that the average Dunhill is of higher quality than the pipes of makers you mentioned.
An entirely different question is, "are they worth their price?" That can only be answered by you, I'm afraid.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Ditto what bigvan said. Dunhills are generally very well made, and generally much better made in terms of fit and finish than the other major factory brands. Plus, their stems are often very comfortable compared to Peterson or Stanwell, for example.
As for pure smoking properties, a Stanwell can be just as good, but the fit and finish won't be the same and Stanwell's stems, especially the newer acrylic ones, just aren't as nice as Dunhill's.
It's much like BMW or Mercedes -- marketing keeps prices high, but there's real quality there, too.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It's much like BMW or Mercedes -- marketing keeps prices high, but there's real quality there, too.
That is a good analogy. Classic shape lines and finishes, 100 years of history, that all adds up to the Dunhill experience. If you enjoy classic British pipe shapes, you have to at least try an estate Dunhill. For my tastes, I'll take a Taylor era Ashton (perhaps two) or definitely two James Upshalls for the price of one Dunhill. If you want a new, Premium British made pipe, Dunhill is about the only game in town.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I know someday I will save up for my birthday Dunhill, and im pretty sure i'll enjoy it for years. I decided to try a Parker pipe, which is a Dunhill pipe that didnt quite make the standard, and its one of my favorites. So much that I have a second one in the mail as I type.
Instead of a BMW, I bought an Audi.....

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Dunhills are great pipes. There's the history and the fact that they can be dated precisely. Plus they make fine smokers. Sure they're pricy, but in comparison to what? If you're a pipe smoker, and pipes are part of your daily life, not just an occasional bowl, but an all day affair, you owe it to yourself to try a Dunhill.
IMAG0484-1-1-1-1.jpg

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
With so many folks carving pipes these days at prices that make my head spin.I'm glad I bought good pipes many years ago.I have 2 Dunhills.They smoke great.I doubt that I could pay todays prices for them though.I guess it depends on ones budget.As far as smoking quality in my opinion Dunhills are amoung the best.Of course there's a good many of todays carvers whose pipes I haven't tried.

Aug 14, 2012
I have 86. I do not care about brand prestige. I have them because they are the best smoke per dollar, black shells and Cumberlands excluded.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If I found a Dunhill at a shop for 30$ that was in good shape I would consider it, I've never paid for than 30$ for a pipe, 28$ actually for a meershaum that was pretty much unsmoked. The most I've paid for a new pipe was 50$ for a Peterson Shackleton explorer that you can find right now for 200$ roughly, because it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. Basically for me Pipe smoking shouldn't be about how much money you're spending for a pipe, considering how many good estates you can find I'll never pay more than 30$ for a pipe, and I have 23, which is getting too much for me. I passed up a stanwell today nosewarmer looking pipe for 10$ because it wasn't in the best shape, but probably could of been easily restored. I just have alot of pipes already and just enjoy smoking, I don't want to spend 200$ for a pipe. I've got 23 great ones and haven't spent for than 12$ for most of them, and I'll find them for over a 100$ later on.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
The only one I really want is my birth year Dunhill (1960) which is like your passage as a "pipe collector". Actually two are on Ebay right now and they'll go for over $400. Dave loves to show me them, and I love him for it... Though its a *tear* moment :crying: . But once the cellar is complete, no more burners! TADs no PADs. :(
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Dunhill-Shell-Briar-ODA-836-Panel-Billiard-Pipe-Mint-COOPERSARK-N-R-/350927584265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b4e9fc09
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUNHILL-ROOT-BRIAR-P-4R-PIPE-1960-/301017010956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461603130c
Guess's on what the Shell Briar will go for? My bet is $600 range. *sigh*
Craig

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
By pure chance I have a 'birth year' Dunhill. I bid on it because I could see from it's tatty old box that it was 'By appointment to the King', thus made before the reign of QE2. It is a beautiful Root Briar straight billiard - a classic English pipe which smokes like a dream. It was only when I scrutinised the markings that I realised it was a '1953', the year of QE2's coronation. I won it for about $200.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Roth, or as in my case - luck!!
Craig, in your case I would suggest that the pipe in question is very distinctive (and beautiful), which may attract beaucoup bidders!! Good luck!!!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Craig, my guess is that ODA goes for 325.00, let's see how close I am. The other one 350.00. Unfortunately both of those sellers get top dollar for their pipes. Save this seller mwreschke his prices are always lower and he has good stuff that comes in great shape. I got my Castello Occhio di Pernice from him for only 184.00 delivered.
In terms of factory pipes, my experience has been that Castello makes a better smoker for my tastes. I also prefer Upshall over Dunhill, especially for the price difference. I totally understand why people love their Dunhill's. The history, the fact they can be dated and their consistency are something many collector's desire. For my money though, I prefer my American artisan pipes over the Dunhill's I have owned. The stem work is superior to my tastes, the fact they smoke drier and the over all smoking experience for me, makes them a better choice to me. I have bought a number of American artisan estate pipes in the 200-250 range and to a one they have been much better smokers than any Dunhill I have owned. Luckily we all have very different tastes, so the people who love their Dunhill's for the most part, are not going after the pipes I enjoy and vice a verse. One nice thing about Dunhill's is that if you buy for the right price, it will retain it's value.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
To chime in a little late on this thread. I just smoked my first Dunhill last night. I was expecting it to be a good pipe but I was blown away by the perfect draw. The button is nice but I have nicer in my collection. I have another Dunhill estate that I haven't smoked yet to try today but suffice to say, I was extremely impressed by the first Dunhill experience. It's a perfectly engineered pipe that is better than anything else I've smoked from the charring light.

Status
Not open for further replies.