PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have been ... fighting with this Dunhill Pipe since this summer. I bought it estate, refurbished myself, but it smoked like crap. Kept clodding, required many relights, when I finally had enough and I pulled out that long stinger - you know the metal insert that is quite specific for Dunhill pipes I understand. Smokes like a charm, very happy with it - in fact I wished I thought of this earlier, but I simply couldn't accept the idea that the Dunhill pipe "engineers" that designed the system designed it wrong. Have any of you guys had a similar experience with the stinger? Do you prefer to keep this insert or pull it out?

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I never much liked the way pipes smoke with "stingers" and have always ended up removing them.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have a 1927 Dunhill that had the inner tube. Smoked it like that for couple of years. At the Chicago pipe show a nice gentleman complimented me on it. Asked if it had the inner tube. He kindly advised me to remove it. Smoked better since.

franklyn22

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
I remove the inner tube as soon as I take the Dunhill out of the box for the first time and have not looked back!

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
Question, I have a pipe I got from a friend that has a stinger and smokes horribly. I tried removing it and now the tenon is too short and when the stem goes back in, it's way too loose. Is there an adapter maybe that you can get to reinforce that connection without causing it to block up like a stinger does? I don't have the pipe with me, it's in storage at the moment, and I can't remember the exact brand. So just a generic question about stinger replacement I guess.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
had the issue with an old pipe the shank became loose over the years - the shank could drop off easily -

solution simple with no flavour change - piece of white paper 1/2 inch square wrapped around the tenon when i insert it into the shank, then remove the excess paper - cant see it & it has worked for years - just renew the piece of paper from time to time - does not affect the flavour as it has no exposure to the inner workings of the draw.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I like my lone Dunhill tube pipe. Without the tube, it's a touch too open. (same for a couple of Petersons with the tube style)

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
exbenedict somebody on the forum actually suggested nail polish, a thin lair of black nail polish on the tenon. It works, although it smells funny if the pipe gets over heated ... doesn't affect affect the taste of the tobacco though.

Status
Not open for further replies.