PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stluisrey

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2010
Orange, CA
Dunhill Nightcap was the first non-aeromatic tobacco I tried back in mid 1980's. I remember the cool blue and yellow tin, and I recall the dominant smokey aroma I later discovered was the Latakia tobacco. Having smoked only aromatic tobaccos I was getting at the local Tinder Box, I recall that smokey aroma was something I was not expecting. I smoked this wonderful blend for years then I stopped smoking pipes in favor of cigars. I picked up pipe smoking again around 2009 and I never thought about acquiring Dunhill Nightcap, just never looked for it. Recently I was checking out some offerings and noticed Dunhill still makes Nightcap in tins and bulk. They did not have bulk back in the day.
Is this tobacco worth having in the pipe tobacco collection? Is there a quality difference between the tins and bulk with this tobacco?
Thaks for the feedback.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
While I do not prefer Nightcap, it is still a good blend, just too much latakia for my liking. Buy some bulk (it's cheap) and give it another go.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Nightcap I still a good blend. This recent incarnation is constantly being compared to older blends from the 60's and 70's which doesn't mean much because this is what we have today. So, yeah, it's still worth having in rotation. As for bulk vs tin; if it's all fresh then no biggie if you intend to smoke it soon. If your looking at cellaring it there are different rates of maturation between tins and bulk. Frankly, I buy to smoke not bank.

Welcome back to the fold and have fun here.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I like Nightcap, however I have never tried the "new" blend. I keep finding & buying older tins from the early & mid 90's. They are still out there if you want to pay the price for them. :puffpipe:

stluisrey

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2010
Orange, CA
I age all my pipe tobacco for at least 3-4 years before smoking. Something I picked up from collecting cigars. When I buy bulk tobacco, I jar it up and forget about it for a while.
On a side note, I recently was checking out the 2010 jars having not opened them up since then. Darn lids shot up into the air from the gas pressure built up over time. Do you guys open your jars up to exchange air in the jar from time to time, or do you just leave them closed letting years go by?

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
It's a classic blend. One of the staples of pipe smoking and for a reason. If you find the latakia too strong in Nightcap it might do you good to cellar it. Can't help in the bulk vs tin as I've always purchased the tin, but I'm sure like any blend there will be opinions stating they are the same and some saying one is better. I'd say buy it in a tin and if you like it then purchase more in bulk.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Mike, that's a loaded question with many answers. We'll catch up one of these days :puffy:
I'd say get an ounce or two of bulk just to have on hand. There "shouldn't" be any difference from tin to bulk and if you jar after opening...no reason to buy a tin just to jar. I'll send you some older stuff to sample against the new.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Anyone know where I can get early & mid 90's Night Cap that onepyrotec was talking about? Money isn't an issue.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
They pop up on ebay often. An early 90's tin just sold yesterday (for a little more than I thought it would).
And PipeStud.com has them listed once in a great while too.

Status
Not open for further replies.