PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Why did Dunhill change this name and also Dunhill Flake from Dunhill Light Flake? Is there some copyright issue or some other reason?
To me it just adds confusion when looking at reviews etc ( of course the re-release saga is another point of frustration also).

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The new laws in foreign countries won't allow a number of descriptive words like "light", "mild", etc. I have no idea why the word "deluxe" would be objectionable, but it apparently is.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Have there been changes to Navy Rolls, besides the name? Pipes & Cigars still shows the De Luxe label on their site, although they are shipping the new tin, sans De Luxe. Smoking Pipes shows the new label on their site.
New label

dunhillnavyrolls.jpg

Image credit
Previous label

pb-dha.png

Image credit

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Interesting. This is news to me. Does anybody anywhere believe "light" or whatever tobacco is better for you? Is this a real problem? Not to imply any of this insanity addresses any real problems.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Does anybody anywhere believe "light" or whatever tobacco is better for you? Is this a real problem?
I always kinda felt that removing "light" and "ultra-light" and so on from tobacco labeling was mostly a feel-good legislative move meant to appease the "complainers". Just my $.02

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
The new laws in foreign countries won't allow a number of descriptive words like "light", "mild", etc.
Excuse me while I step out to beat my head between two garbage can lids.
I always kinda felt that removing "light" and "ultra-light" and so on from tobacco labeling was mostly a feel-good legislative
I thought lots of cigarettes were marketed as Light and Ultra-Light!
Meantime, such terms are used on ten thousand other products!

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
The EU regulations state the wording must be factual - no more flowery marketing language. I'm not sure why the removal of "De Luxe" but it seems they are not "hand crafted from the worlds finest tobaccos". They're machine made at this point, apparently from flue cured African which may or may not be the worlds finest. Forgive any spelling errors - on mobile.

jasongvl

Lurker
Feb 11, 2016
Kent, England
As it pretty much says above- it's the new EU regulations with all tobacco.

Nothing can be labelled as to mean it maybe healthier (light/ultra light/cool etc). As well as no flavouring names are allowed so you may see quite a few name changes. Also "menthol" cigarettes are banned for production.
In UK all labelling will be changed to plain packaging (whether this includes tins is yet to be seen though). Doesn't count for cigars.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I can see it coming! At some point they are going to say that you cannot entice smokers to use your product by offering a flavorful tobacco taste, so will have to bleach out the taste of tobacco until it tastes like cardboard, cannot offer a physical addiction so will have to have all nicotine chemically removed, and will have to repel smokers from using it due to its unwholesome , unsavory qualities so will have to have ipecac syrup added to it to induce vomiting.
They are afraid to try outright banning of tobacco, so they are trying to make no one want it. Could they all be working for the marijuana lobby??? :puffy:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"They are afraid to try outright banning of tobacco, so they are trying to make no one want it."
Toob, that is precisely what they want to do (at least here in the UK). I genuinely think that in about ten to fifteen years time smoking in all its forms will be a mere memory.
They have already started the ball rolling and bit by bit they are nibbling their way to total banishment. The pro smoking lobby group FOREST* used to be quite vocal on the subject but either through media suppression or just apathy we never hear a whisper from them nowadays.
The times are indeed a'changing and we should all be afraid, very afraid.
Regards,
Jay
*FOREST (short for "Freedom Organisation for the Right to Enjoy Smoking Tobacco") is a United Kingdom political pressure group which campaigns against tobacco control activity.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Next will be Big Soda, causing diabetes and death the world over. Next? Driving. It kills millions and must be banished.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
They need to do something about all this walking.
There's no telling how many people fall down and get hurt each year trying to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.