PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have had EMP and Nightcap, enjoyed Nightcap the most. Today I had some 965 come my way and must say what a wonderful blend. Smell straight from the bag had me a bit concerned, quite robust. I loaded my Edwards billiard, hoping it's larger bowl would give a good smoke. First impression upon lighting is smooth. A bit shocking because I was expecting a stronger first puff. The bowl barely gets warm even with this tobacco coming right out of the bag I kinda expected it to burn hot as I did not allow any drying time. I think I have found another long term tobacco I can enjoy for years and one bowl may be all it took.

Funny, the guy who gave it to me hated the smell that filled the room through the bag.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I personally didn't find it to my likeing. I still have an ounce that I'll probably give away. I heard lots of good things about 965, and I like Nightcap as well as EMP. I just found 965 flat.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find 965 a great blend, balanced and robust. It's kind of a baseline and has been in my rotation for two or three years now.

I think the bulk version is equal to the tinned version, though I'm keeping the bulk in a jar and aging a tin.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
When I first started smoking Dunhill, I liked 965 the least. Smoked EMP and Nightcap regularly, and then one day gave it a second chance when it came out in bulk. Now it's my favorite Dunhill.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Its been my go-to daily smoke since Lestrout introduced me to it three years ago.

I haven't found anything that is quite the same. (flavor and ease of smoking)

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I still have a tin from May 2013 that I haven't popped yet. Once I finish what's left in a jar of Wessex BVF I may have to pop that 965 and try it out.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
In my top 5 for sure. Love the almost BBQ flavour to the blend that I get out of it. Smokes dry and smooth, very easy on the tongue for sure. Just love the stuff. If you're looking for something of a similar vein, Sutliff Luxury Balkan 957 is quite similar in profile with a bit more latakia to it. Another enjoyable smoke, but not quite the same as 965.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'd love to hear comparisons from Latakiafiondos of Newminsters #52 with other Lat blends? It's my only lat experience to date.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
MM965 was my "big jar" tobacco for many years, until Dunhill tobaccos were no longer available here in the States about 10 years ago. When that happened, I switched to Pease's Westminster and Esoterica's Penzance. Then Penzance was "discovered" and it became hard to get, so I just stayed with Westminster. When Dunhill came back, I added MM965 back to the rotation and the two remain the backbone of my regular rotation.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Checotah - 965 has a little BBQ-y sweetness (from the cavendish I suppose). Does Westminster have any of that?

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I was given a jar of 965 and Nightcap blended together and it's the tastiest smoke I have. I wish I knew the proportions. Smoking some right now in a Comoy's Billiard.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I have yet to meet a Dunhill blend that I haven't liked in some way. I am not a fan of Nightcap, but I only mean that I do not smoke it regularly because I prefer other Dunhill blends more. I like MM965 the best of their English blends. EMP is good, but I like 965 a bit more, where as Nightcap is just a bit too strong for me to smoke regularly.
I'd be interested to mix in the Nightcap with either 965 or EMP, but I have generally refrained from combining blends I have some liking for. I prefer to smoke them separately.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Checotah - 965 has a little BBQ-y sweetness (from the cavendish I suppose). Does Westminster have any of that?
No, Westminster is what I consider one of the more traditional English Blends, without Cavendish. However, the Red Virginias do impart a little sweetness to Westminster, although not as much as Cavendish. Alls I know, I likes 'em both!

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I'd be interested to mix in the Nightcap with either 965 or EMP, but I have generally refrained from combining blends I have some liking for. I prefer to smoke them separately.
Give a bowl or 2 of 50/50 Nightcap and 965 a try - it really is a very good mix. The 965 cuts the strength of the NC a bit (if that's what you're after) and adds a little smooth sweetness.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I got through 2 oz of Triple Play without finding anything satisfying about it. That's very unusual for me. By the time I finish that amount I've had time to smoke the blend in variety of pipes and have confirmed what I think about the blend. If I haven't cared for its qualities, that's one thing, but if I feel I haven't understood it, that's another.

Status
Not open for further replies.