Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sunriseboy

Gents, I just got a couple of tins of Dunhill Flake and am quite disappointed in the quality. I have just a little of the last lot left and it is brilliant but this stuff is very ordinary to say the least.

The colour is considerably lighter than the previous lot and tastes quite different. Sort of honey and grass/hay.
Anyone else had a similar experience recently.
BTW, what is a similar style of tobacco as DF? I think I'll be looking elsewhere. Very disappointed as I said, because that was my "go too" smoke!

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Are these the new round tins? I have only the older square ones around. This is not good news!
There are lots of excellent virginia flakes around, but I've never found one that I would say matched Dunhill Flake for being sweet and smooth and open....
Pure virginias you might try include Dan's "Mellow Mallard" (this is very good stuff) and the Erik Stokkebye 1855 (it's a bit less interesting). There are other flakes like the "Former" series (Birdseye, Cross-grain, and straight grain flakes) but they fall a little flat for me. I like Mac Baren's "Virginia Flake" too, but it's a little sharper than the Dunhill. Tastes really good though.

S

sunriseboy

Thanks for that gents. I think I'm getting the idea now. Harvests, rainfall, location of crops and of course how I'm feeling on a particular day.
I never realized how one's metabolism effects the "taste" of so many things.
(And Michael, sorry to have posted two threads. I'm a bit slow on working out this forum stuff).

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Just bought a tin at the weekend. Good stuff.
It was in the 'square' tin though.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The colour is considerably lighter than the previous lot and tastes quite different. Sort of honey and grass/hay.
Probably just newer. Bright VA flakes get darker over time, and more of a molasses or caramel flavor than the zesty sweetness of a fresh one.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Sunriseboy, what lot of Dunhill flake are you comparing this new lot to? Dunhill Flake as it is today is apparently equivalent to Dunhill Light Flake of days gone by. My experience with DF is that it has always been a mild straw yellow color and had a good mellow taste about it. It does do well with some age. If you're looking for something in that ballpark I'd recommend Orlik Golden Sliced or even Sillem's Mayor 1814 flake. Most other VA flakes have a dash of perique in them. Im a DF lover and I have about 30 tins stashed away for the Dunhill Tobaccopocalypse.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Good call. Capstan is currently on sale.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/Capstan/?utm_source=PipesMagazine&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=Capstan_Promo

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Peck said that "Brigham commissioned RL Will of Solani fame to come up with his own interpretation of the venerable Dunhill blends. [...] Some say Klondike [Gold] is more like the old Murrays Dunhill Flake, which Will was trying to channel..."
Alas, it may be a little hard to find these days.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Yes I also have found how I am physically or emotionally effects my taste with tobacco.

It can be the difference of a good or a bad smoke.

I smoke Irish Flake and notice this a lot.

S

sunriseboy

Thanks for all of the above, fellas. Great advice. Thank you.

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
I used to really enjoy the old Dunhill Light Flak: the sweet, smooth and rewarding smoke it was. Then the Dunhill Flake seemed a bit sterile. I have tried the new round tin. I agree the Reiner Long Golden Flake does bring back memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.