PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I've smoked lots of Dunhill DNR but never any Dunhill Flake. What differences do you find between the two?

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
DNR has Perique and is in roll form. Dunhill Flake is a straight Virginia Flake. Personally, I really like the Dunhill Flake tobacco; it offers a light, sweet smoke with citrus and grassy undertones.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Having never had the DNR, I'll just add that if you enjoy SG's Full Virginia Flake, you'll likely enjoy Dunhill Flake. It's a wonderful straight VA, but a bit lighter in flavor than the FVF. It's far from bland, though. (I'd put Hamborger Veermaster in the "bland" category, even though it's a fine flake. Just extremely mild in terms of flavor.)
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Dunhill Flake is a very nice mild flake that has some nice sweetness and caramel over tones to my tastes. I also do not get any grassy flavors like with Orlik Golden. I am not a fan of the grassy thing but I know some are.
Bob, the Veermaster gets so much better with age. I have a couple of tins leftover from 2001 and the tobacco turns jet black and has some serious raisin and fig flavors. I am smoking some from December 2012 right now and while tasty it needs a lot more time.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Harris:
Good to know about the Veermaster. My tin was fresh from the mailbox.
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Bob, I got a pound of the Veermaster in about 1.5 years ago and was totally underwhelmed. It was bland and totally unlike the tins I smoked fresh back in the day. Also the pound had tons of broken flakes and a lot of shake so I decided to never buy it in bulk again. I ended up buying 35 tins and just cracked that one from 12/12 and the age did help it some, but I will not crack another for another 8 years or so. I remember liking the Veermmaster as much as my Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug back then, but the F&T is so much better fresh today.

Status
Not open for further replies.