PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshmokes

Lurker
Jan 8, 2017
I acquired this Dunhill this past weekend and wow does it look used! I've been doing some research on the dating of Dunhills, but I'm not having any success dating it, partially due to some of the stamping being worn off. Could y'all help me out?
From what I can make out with my eye, I see:
53/24 Dunhill Shell Ma____ EnglandZ^

Patent Nº 34
The ^ is kind of a triangle. I can't make sense of what it's supposed to be.

The Nº doesn't have a line beneath the O, but it is superscript.
IMG_1494.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

Thanks for your help in advance!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The stummel is 1947, the Z is an underlined 7. The stem however, is obviously not what belongs on that pipe; note it's diameter at the join. Shape 53.
dpsc5-312x600.jpg

On dating see,
https://pipedia.org/wiki/A_Dunhill_Pipe_Dating_Guide

joshmokes

Lurker
Jan 8, 2017
dmcmtk, are you a god?

You're spot on about the stem not being an original. I just picked the pipe up a second ago and noticed the size difference for the first time.
Thank you so much for the fast response! You rock! :D

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I love seeing great pipes like that smoked so hard and treated rough. True love right there! It must have been a good smoker!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Josh, the other thing is, you should very seriously consider having that pipe professionally cleaned, and having a new, high quality stem made. One sees, relatively, very few Dunhill's from the period 1945-50 as production was only slowly increasing after the limited production during the war years.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
That's an old survivor for sure. Obviously well loved by her former owner(s)............

I'd do as Dave suggests, spring for a new stem. The walls look a bit thin, but smoke her slow, let a bit of cake form, and she'll treat you to another 50 years of great smokes!! Neat old pipe!....... :puffy:

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I've yet to get a Dunhill. Very nice pipe!!
Regarding the stem... Why do I get the feeling there was a tapered band there? It fits tight as is right? I don't recall seeing bands on Dunhills, but I haven't seen a whole hell of a lot of them. Did they ever come with bands?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't recall seeing bands on Dunhills, but I haven't seen a whole hell of a lot of them. Did they ever come with bands?
Yes, absolutely! Sterling and gold bands were common and quite popular in the teens and twenties and then fell out of fashion. Fashion or no, many high grade pipes continued to be fitted with bands for those who like a little bling, or those who wanted a spigot or military bit.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The one thing I might say, is it's possible the shank had been shortened, re-drilled, and the old stem used (which would account for the discrepancy in the diameters). However, that's a lot of trouble to go through and not put on a correctly fitting stem.
I have a great deal of confidence that member georged could make you a perfect new stem, and make that pipe look fantastic. As I said, one doesn't see many pipes from that period.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Thanks gentlemen !! I was having no success wrapping my head around that stem. :)
Really like the blast on this pipe. Best of luck Josh !

Status
Not open for further replies.