PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Tis my belief that everyone here should watch this video from Discovery Channels How It's Made. Then tell me if they're hand made or machine made because while they use machines, to me these pipes are hand made. Machine made to me means that no hands were involved.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcmBL9bv_0I&sns=sms

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Handmade almost never means "no machines were used". I handmade knives but I used saws, grinders and buffers all run by motors. I could have used the same tools with foot power but what would be the point? I don't believe that anyone considers Dunhill a handmade pipe but a hand finished pipe, as are most of the largest brands. But I would imagine all handmade pipe producers use a lathe and drill presses, they simply operate them themselves instead of relying on automation.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I posted on the other thread dammit. From what I've seen of factory-made pipes, they seem to be a production line affair - sometimes with various parts made in different places. If all Dunhill pipes were made just as the video is presented, then I'd argue it was a hand-made pipe.
But they don't make that claim, so my guess is that the video is demonstrating pipe making basics in an idealized situation.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
That is absolutely fantastic! I've never seen pipe making in that simple detail before. I can't get into the machine/hand-made debate as I haven't a clue. I'm just astonished at the skill of those guys and how easy they make it look to create the elements of a first-class, luxury pipe. Very impressive. The Dunhill factory is about 10 miles from my house; I really should see if I can get a tour and have a closer look!
Andy

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It's been my opinion that there's confusion between the terms custom and hand made. Having watched that video, which by the way they skim over the part where the shape of the bowl is carved "by hand", I can't see how you can call them machine made.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Machine made- usually made on frasing machines in a factory. Frasing machines use cutters that cut a particular shape- there typically or 8-10 machines each of which has specially designed cutters that cut the stem, drill the mortise airway, shape the bowl, and shape the bowl bottom...and then there are still many hand processes involved...
Hand made- made with tools controlled by the craftsman.This video showed hand chisels for the most part used on a lathe...some tools on a metal lathe, but it's still the craftsman cranking the dials....

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
My answer is a bit confusing now that I reread it. The video shows what I would consider a handmade pipe but my understanding is that this is not how the average Dunhill is made these days but I could be wrong. I was under the impression though most of their production is machines fraised and hand finished.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Handmade pipe - all of the shaping is controlled by hand. That's what this video shows. Machine made - the shaping process is largely automated.
Where a bowl may go through a "cut down" process, reshaping to address imperfections in the wood during a handmade process, no such step takes place in a machine made process.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Handmade almost never means "no machines were used". I handmade knives but I used saws, grinders and buffers all run by motors. I could have used the same tools with foot power but what would be the point? I don't believe that anyone considers Dunhill a handmade pipe but a hand finished pipe, as are most of the largest brands. But I would imagine all handmade pipe producers use a lathe and drill presses, they simply operate them themselves instead of relying on automation.
Not to get off topic and my apology, but it's nice to see someone else who made handmade knives. I still have my 12 speed drill press, Wilton 2" belt grinder (still comes in handy at times), and a buffer. I also still have some 440c and 154cm steel stock and various handle material from Macarta to exotic woods. I just no longer have the patience for it, but in some ways I miss it. Then again, I miss a lot of things that I used to do at my age. :wink:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The video shows what I would consider a handmade pipe but my understanding is that this is not how the average Dunhill is made these days but I could be wrong. I was under the impression though most of their production is machines fraised and hand finished.

As far as I know the HT's and Collectors are completely made in house and the standard shapes are fraised in France and Italy and the few clean bowels they find are shipped to Dunhill to be sanded, blasted, and finished with a hand made stem from rod stock. I collect HT XL Collectors that are like the top pipe in the 3 pipe Cumberland Collector set seen in the last shot. 8O

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great video. Much detail left out, but it shows key processes and really compresses

it so it visualizes the sequence clearly. Thanks for posting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.