PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I'm so confused about all the Dunhill blends, especially the ones that have similar mixtures of tobacco types. How many English blends can one brand make? And what's a Scottish blend, anyway?
I'm looking to try one or two, but they all have such good reviews it's hard to decide. I'm new to all this and not even sure what I like yet, so it's hard to give guidance. I will say I'm not a big fan of aromatics so far, and that I'm normally a cigar smoker. Here's my short list:
Aperitif

Early Morning

Nightcap

London Mixture

Mixture 965

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
C&D calls it's Bayou Night a Scottish blend. It's description reads 'a blend of Latakia, Perique, Virginias, Turkish, and Burleys that boasts a heavier Perique component than normally found in a classic Scottish blend.
On descriptions, I always go to Pipes&Cigars for their's.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My only personal experience with Dunhill blends is Nightcap. I've tried several Latakia English blends and Dunhill Nightcap always read to be 'the standard', so I went for it.

Many here swear by EMP.

Of those you've listed, the one least mentioned in my recollection is Aperitif, but anything with the Dunhill name on it is likely to pass muster.

It IS pretty amazing how many lat blends there are containing VA, Orientals, and or Burley and still taste identifiably different. Inevitably, some will seem close to others in taste and tin note.

Balkan Sasieni is another smooth lat blend and recently I've tried Russ Oulette's Hearth and Home Magnum Opus, and if you enjoy this genre, you should get some. It's right there with any Lat blend I've tried...

If you have never tried a Latakia blend, you're in for a treat.

Don't be put off by the initial tin note. You will learn to appreciate the typical smokey, peaty, robust and hugely pungent aromas these blends emanate.

A lat blend might be one of the better genres for a beginner to smoke on the basis of its burning properties. Usually cooler than burley or va blends and easily maintained with minimal effort.

It's all about expectations and your open mind.

Even if you don't like something at first, it will often be a matter of awakening the right receptors through continued 'practice' which then reveal a more pleasurable experience.

stuff n puff!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
A "Scottish" blend usually has some burley, Virginia and Cavendish. The British "Scottish" blends use a Virginia Cavendish. In the USA Cavendish is usually burley. Macbaren's Mixture-Scottish Blend is a classic and worth a try if you have not had it. It's been around since 1958 and is a tasty smoke.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
There is no industry standard or rule that defines an "English" blend. In common usage, it seems to refer to a blend of Virginia, latakia and oriental tobaccos, and never aromatic. Of course, other tobaccos, such as Perique, can be added. Using the common understanding, and trying to avoid the sometimes-controversy over the use of the term at all (or trying to split the proverbial hair that distinguishes a Balkan blend from an English blend), one could make dozens, perhaps many dozens, of English blends. Dunhill, when it was a shop in London, made custom blends for many of its customers and would have made hundreds (perhaps thousands) of "English" blends.
The same basic ingredients, tweaked and handled slightly differently, can give a different end result, sometimes much different. Much like wine, Scotch, beer and bourbon. Calling a blend English is about the same as calling a wine red. It will be decidedly different than white, but beyond that doesn't tell you much about how it will taste and whether you will enjoy it.
Some define an "English" blend that contains Cavendish (unflavored, of course) as a Scottish blend. Not all agree, what would be the fun in that? By that definition, MM965 and Aperitif are Scottish blends. Somewhere in England, someone who smokes MM965 is infuriated that I have called his favorite tobacco Scottish. Such are the risks when we categorize things.
Historically, England had laws that prevented tobacco blends from having any non-tobacco additives, flavorings or humectants. Or, at least, greatly limited those. So, any blend made without additives, regardless of the type of leaf used used, could be called "English." Confused yet? Good. No reason why you should be any different than the rest of us.
Of the Dunhill blends, London Mixture is what I think of as a sort of base-line, iconic English blend. Not that the others are not excellent blends, but London Mix is kind of in the middle and will give you a good reference point as you explore these types of blends.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
+1 on London Blend which is technically a Balkan because of the good percentage of Oriental tobaccos. You might try MM965 also as it is a touch stouter and is a Scottish blend with Cavendish. When I first moved away from Drug Store tobaccos in the early sixties, I tried a Dunhill sampler and couldn't really tell one latakia blend in that sampler from the other. Now they are quite distinct to me, so don't be surprised if at first they seem the same to you.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Thanks, lots of great info here! Being a Laphroig lover and cigar smoker, I'm drawn to smokier blends. My dad smoked English blends, too, so it's part of my childhood memories.
So would all these blends be fairly similar to a newbie palette, meaning I should just try one for starters? Any opinions on the Aperitif in comparison to the others? It gets great reviews.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
MM965 - my favorite and daily smoke. I think the unique component, the brown cavendish, sets it apart

Night Cap - a bit too stiff in the Latakia department

Early Morning Pipe - a bit too soft (Night Cap & EMP mixed at 50% is awesome)
I get an ounce or two of each, start with EMP and move up till you acclimate.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
If you really liked nightcap, then royalyacht will do it for you. Plus a little stronger but great flavor try Kentucky bold. good luck

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There's also Standard, Standard Mellow, and Durbar.

The Apertif and MM 965 both have cavendish in them - "Scottish" blends.

EMP and London are both very much oriental tobacco forward,with the latakia in the background. I think of those as "Oriental" blends.

Durbar has the orientals and latakia pretty well balanced, to my taste buds. That's what I think of as a "balkan". It's number 2 on my Dunhill lat blend list.

Standard - and Standard Mellow, which I have not smoked - are latakia forward, with the orientals in the background. Standard is my favorite of the Dunhill latakia blends. These are what I think of as classic "English" blends.

Nightcap, of course, has perique in it. It's a bit too much for me, but I am not a perique fan.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I stand corrected . . . Standard Mix, not London, is the classic "English" blend. London is more oriental forward.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Well, BnB has a special where if you buy both EMP and NC you save a couple of bucks and get them both for $16. So I think I'll go for that, even though I'm also tempted by the London and Aperitif.... Sounds like I can't go wrong with any of these blends, though!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Give EMP an honest run and smoke some 965 afterwards. The blends compliment each other IMO and with EMP it's more about the subtle tastes, sweet, nutty, woody and then more a Latakia kick with the 965. I'm very fond of all the Dunhill blends and have been for a long time so I'm a little biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.