PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayhr

Lurker
May 5, 2019
Good day everyone, how's life been with you?
Please i would like to know what do you think if dunhills whitespot pipes?

Any good/bad experience smoking them?
Thanks all.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
They mean the alpha and the omega for some, in general they produce good quality. In my opinion they are extremely overpriced and I have seen many issues with cracks here and there on them. But if you don't mind about the price, you have a good chance to get a good smoker for a lifetime.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
OK, but not the best smokers I've ever had by any means. There are pipes that are at least equal or superior for much much less. As far as overpriced, if you're looking at, say, a US$650-700 Dunhill, you can figure you are paying (at a minimum) US$400-500 for
the name. Just the name. Yes, seriously. They're extremely proud of their mystique.
Not too many other people are.
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some have a lot of discretionary spending and just like Dunhill/White Spot pipes, and they are handsome traditional pipes with a famous name, so that seems fine. If you long for a Dunhill/White Spot, but don't have that kind of money, you can likely find an estate pipe to restore or that has been restored, for a somewhat better price. A few find them for very little in yard sales, flea markets, or antique shops, but that's luck of the draw. If you must have a new one, Al Pascia is said to have the best prices. With a fine Ferndown, a Ser Jacopo, and a Nording hunting pipe, I don't feel any special need for a Dunhill, unless I found one in reasonably good shape at a yard sale for an actual used pipe price, in which case I'd step right up, and thank you very much. I certainly don't dislike them, but I don't long for one either. Many of those grand old English traditional shapes were actually originated by the French pipe makers in St. Claude, and many of those companies still make fine pipes at good prices, by the way.

Oct 7, 2016
New Dunhill pipes won't get many positive remarks in online forums in general, and here in particular. But somebody buys them. Particularly, it seems, in Italy, where consumers have lots of choices in outstanding pipes.
I suggest you look at the Italian sponsors of this forum listed on the left hand side, Al Pascia, Bollito and Corti, who all have excellent selections, prices that are much, much better than the cost in the US (no VAT) and provide impeccable, ultra prompt shipping and service.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I would never un-ass the amount of currency required for a new one unless an obscene windfall befell me.
That said, my two estates, one Dunhill and one White Spot, seem to perform well.
jay-roger.jpg

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I have two that are excellent smokers. One's a group 4 Dublin that's on the small side for me but I like it. If you're not used to Dunhills they run on the smallish side. I have a group 5 thick walled pot that may be one of my top smokers. I can't say they're superior to lots of other brands. I have Vipratis and Ser Jacopos that are certainly equivalent, and an Ardor that's probably untouchable, so far as workmanship and smoking qualities. That said though, I have Rattrays and Stanwells that probably smoke as well as anything. But I would buy them both again and have no regret in paying for them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, I just received a pretty good windfall, and am not buying a new Dunhill. But the ones I have are all extremely good. I'd buy another estate or two if the stars aligned.

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I have 1967 SHELL BRIAR GROUP 4..Very Clean, thick walls and it smokes Great...If you check eBay I see more Dunhill's

with burnet walls. My Peder Jeppesen Neerup and Randy Wiley are a smokers dream. I cannot comment on Whitespot as I was told the 60's and under are the better made Dunhill's.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've own vintage Dunhills dating to 1961 and one White Spot. The White Spot, from 2013, smoked just as well as my vintage Dunills, with excellent stem work. I recently sold it, and they do not hold their value well. I bought mine thru Al Pascia when the dollar value was high, so the price was significantly lower than current. I would not buy another, even though it was a great smoking pipe. My money will stay with vintage.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I now have two Dunhills and they are both very good smokers. One is a Dunhill Bruyere Innertube Patent pipe from 1926 that was given to me and the other is a 1976 Red Bark I bought last month at an antique shop. Both are very good smokers but I believe the 1976 bowl is thinner and does seem to get hotter.
I wouldn't pay full price for a new Dunhill White Spot simply because for the money I'd spend for one of those, I could probably get two from an carver like Mark Tinsky or Zack Hamric.

ayhr

Lurker
May 5, 2019
<p>Well thanks everyone, since there's no that difference I'll stick with petes and savs

Aug 14, 2012
ayr: There is a huge difference between Dunhills and Petersons. The Dunhill bruyere is a great smoke but does take a a while to break in. The more wood on the bowl the longer it takes. I have plenty of great ones I can sell you at less than half the price of a new one.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have a reason to believe There is quite a significant difference between Dunhills and Petersons,at least when I'm smoking my Dunhill comparing it to how my Petersons or Stanwells perform, but so is the difference in the price significant.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Nice pipes, but overpriced IMHO. You are paying for their long history and branding. Many though, continue they to believe that they are worth the price of admission.

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
I bought a new 4108 RG 20 years ago, still one of my best smokers. Since I have bought an estate Shilling that is from the late 90's, also an excellent smoker. Given a choice in my pipe cabinet I tend to gravitate to the two Dunhills or two Castello's I have. Having said that I found Charatan a few months ago, and they smoke about as well and are quite light in weight which I really prefer.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As a reminder, the OP was asking about relatively new "White Spot" pipes made for Dunhill, not vintage Dunhills (introduced 2014?). As mentioned earlier, I've had both and will stick to vintage.
Please i would like to know what do you think if dunhills whitespot pipes?

Reactions: Dave4211
Status
Not open for further replies.