PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I emailed smokingpipes yesterday to confirm if they are still able to get Dunhill tobacco stocks in. Their response was encouraging. They said currently there are no issues with supply and that they expect it to remain that way for at least the rest of this year. No need for panic yet.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I asked them about shortages last year on different tobaccos. They said that when a brand is discontinued they remove it from the website. Seems it happened a little quicker than P&C.
But on to Dunhill, I watched a Derek Tant video describing the alternatives to Dunhill. Seems like a good options are out there as long as manufacturers keep making them!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not only are there alternatives, but better stuff, period.
McClellands is a real loss; Dunhill not so much. (though I understand sentimentality as well as resistance to change)

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Agreed with jpm. I love Dunhill pipes, and I appreciate the legendary status of their history, and I love the label art etc., but the current line of tobaccos can be matched up pretty closely, in my opinion. I don't think Dunhill smokers will be too put-out when the forecasted end finally arrives. I will miss them, though!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
McClellands is a real loss; Dunhill not so much.
Its the other way 'round for me. For my tastes, Deluxe Navy Rolls, and Durbar are some of the finest of their genres....... I would miss them if they go, but my gut tells me they aren't going anywhere...........

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I just got four 965 tins today in fact and they were beat (dented) up, so much so that it made me wonder if the seals were still intact. I figured they must have been the bottom of the barrel.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I am stocking up on deluxe navy rolls, Elizabethan mizture, apertif, Durbar, three year matured and flake. I wasn't impressed with EMO or Nightcap.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I'm only getting a few tins of Nightcap and 965. I've tried most of the other Dunhill blends and while they're ok, like Flake for instance, there's better out there. Dunhill does English blends like nobody else though.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I hope you're correct that there will be more shipments. On the other hand, if you're s Dunhill fan, the wise move imho would be to stock up asap. Assuming the brand is going to continue is overly optimistic. If it proves to be true, you've got a jump start on adding some tins. If not, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Ordered from Iwanries 3 days ago and they mentioned a new order of Dunhill was expected in.
McClellands going away is absolutely nothing to me as far as my rotation but I am sorry to see any Mom & Pops go by the wayside :(

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
My gut feeling tells me that STG will buy the rights to the blends, and continue to make them under a different name. At least that's what I'm hoping for. If not, and the blends do go away it won't be the end of the world. While I do enjoy EMP, Nightcap, 965, Durbar, Standard Mixture, Elizabethan and Apertif... I'll be okay. There are plenty of other blends out there.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Beef and Metal have smart guts, trust them. Dunhill shall remain. This is a fact, no questions will be taken.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
Re alternatives to Dunhill, its blends seem to do well vs the others on tobaccoreviews.com. But I wonder if that’s because there are so many old positive reviews. I wonder if we could compare the stats of just recent reviews whether Dunhill blends would be so dominant.

Jan 8, 2013
My gut feeling tells me that STG will buy the rights to the blends, and continue to make them under a different name.
I was having this very conversation through PM and it's what I think will happen as well. If STG is making the blends, they may very well continue to make them under a different brand name or maybe under the Scandinavian Tobacco Group name. The situation is much different for the Dunhill blends than that of McClelland.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
My gut feeling tells me that STG will buy the rights to the blends, and continue to make them under a different name.
I was having this very conversation through PM and it's what I think will happen as well. If STG is making the blends, they may very well continue to make them under a different brand name or maybe under the Scandinavian Tobacco Group name. The situation is much different for the Dunhill blends than that of McClelland.
Absolutely. Mike and Mary McNeil feel that no one can duplicate their tobacco; which may or may not be true, but they don't want to find out. Which is perfectly fine. On the other hand, you have Dunhill that hasn't been interested in Pipes, Tobacco, and/or Cigars for a while and trust STG to produce their product with no supervision I'm guessing. Since they don't seem to care about the "smoking division" of Dunhill products anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if they sold the tobacco blends or just let STG have the blends and sold under a different name going forward since they don't want to be associated with "smoking" anymore. Guess we'll wait to see what happens.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I bought a couple tins of Elizabethan today and I've got a few nightcap tins and a number of the flake stashed away. I find escudo to be close enough to the Navy Rolls and I've got a number of both on hand anyways.
McClelland closing the doors was a much larger impact on my daily smoking habits than Dunhill ever could be but I would be sad to see another iconic name disappear forever. There is no shortage of the leaf they use though, and as others have said I think it's likely the blends will remain even if they're renamed. The only concern then becomes the FDA as far as my understanding goes.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
"manufacturers need not receive premarket authorization for existing products that are the subject of a label change only (e.g., a product that has a new name but is otherwise identical to the predicate) (see also question 17). "
https://www.fda.gov/downloads/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/RulesRegulation-sGuidance/UCM436468.pdf
So, STG renaming Dunhills is not the problem. The problem is when did STG start remaking Dunhill and I think it was after 2007. Maybe it can be argued it is the same product that Murray made prior. And my guess is STG sourced different leaf, came up with different process, different casing, etc., so it is not the same as Murray's as many have pointed out here. Unless the FDA backs off before 2021, I think "Dunhill" is most likely finished as far as the U.S. goes.
I have plenty of Dunhill so it doesn't really matter to me. What does matter is I like to try new tobaccos, even if just a tin or two, and new tobaccos introduced to the market will most likely become a thing of the past here. So, my cellaring strategy going forward is to accumulate a wide variety of tobaccos I've never smoked before so that I will still have the "new tobacco to me" experience in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.