PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
On an impulse I bought an old tin (sealed) of this tobacco from a German retailer listed on ebay. The description was that it was from the 1970's and it is in a round tin with the smoke rings on it.
I notice also that the Dunhill Aromatic can be in a square tin. I assume (hope) that the round tin is the old version but does anybody know when the tin changed?
Also I had an old empty tin of Dunhill Ye Old Sign and it was stamped on the base as 2oz only whereas the tin I bought has the 50g - 1.76 oz designation. Does this help date the tin?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Check this link and compare your tin to the different era tins. I think you have a nice, old tin of tobacco. I enjoyed the Aromatic blend back when I was buying aged tins.
http://www.loringpage.com/attpipes/tobdatepaper.html
Mike S.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Thanks Mike, much appreciated. One additional question came to me.......does anybody know when Dunhill Aromatic was introduced?
I know some other blends were around 1915 or earlier but the Aromatic seems much later?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I suspect it was not introduced when Dunhill was doing its own blending. I always assumed it was introduced during the Murray years, so, 1980 or so is my best guess.

Mike S.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I don’t know. It was almost certainly made under the purity laws so it’s nothing overt. It’s pleasant but man has it been a long time since I smoked any. Closest thing I remember to it might be Sunday Fantasy. Yes, it’s in that family.

Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.