PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
What does a Dunhill pipe and ladybugs have to do with each other? Nothing really...
I recently restored an old Dunhill that was in really bad shape and posted the results here. Yeah, it was cheap, but I mean it was BAD! Big chunk missing from the front of the bowl and other issues. So I managed to do a halfway decent resto to save it and was pretty pleased with the results. One result I didn't count on was my wife now wanted a Dunhill pipe for herself! I told her she could smoke it anytime she wanted, but nooo, she wanted her own.

Well, thanks to Mike (wyfbane) he worked out an affordable deal with me for an old Dunhill he was looking to sell. Mike is a stand up guy and even sent a couple of tobacco samples for us to try! 12th Man Skittles anyone? Oh yeah, feel the rainbow. Really, not as bad as it sounds. Thanks Mike!
Ok, now about the ladybugs. We live out in the woods, so we are used to putting up with some bugs of all sorts in the warm months, But we are having an infestation of ladybugs (Japanese Lady Beetles) this year like no other I've ever seen! We've been finding them all over the house inside for the last two months. A couple of days ago, I decided to go up into our loft where we have a bed set up for company to check out how many were up there. There seemed to be quite a few on the window sill and on the bedspread, but when I moved the bed, HOLY CRAP! There were hundreds of the dead and near dead bugs on the floor. This is nuts!

Is anyone else having this problem?
Wife with her new 1973 Dunhill Bruyere

img_0235-450x600.jpg

Disgusting ladybugs!

img_0230-600x449.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Orley-

I live in the country here in Central Ohio. They are worse this year as well, been battling them all winter. In years past I've dealt with a few, but noticeably more this year. Funny that I rarely see them in the summer months........

paranoidpiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2015
I remember catching hundreds of lady bugs as a kid before preschool they'd all gather on this bold barn at my daycare center. The whole wall would nw the color of lady bugs

As a kid, I remember helping my granddad get a nest of them out of a wall. They were terrible, like billions. And, I learned back then that lady bugs bite. I ended up covered in bites.
Later in college, I was telling this to a friend who was about to release lady bugs into a greenhouse he was working in. This was supposed to take care of an aphid problem or some such. He was laughing at me, telling me that there was no way that lady bugs could bite, and he was making fun of me... and, as he opened the box and tossed the bugs into the air, they swarmed him, and as if by some Biblical miracle, they bit him to the point of crying mercifully as I beat him with a towel to get the damned things off of him.
Now, neither of us talks about this incident, but we have a healthy respect for those things.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Yes. It was a sad day when I learned at the tender age of 10 that ladybugs weren't ladies at all and could bite the crap out of you...
Denis Leary made the perfect ladybug...

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrB8pUyU.tU9mAAJ3iJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIycHJkb21wBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANkMjkwZGZkNTc1MmZhYjdiYzAxMjVlNzM4YjE1MmEwZARncG9zAzQEaXQDYmluZw--?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Djapanese%2Bbeetle%2Bcatcher%26fr%3Dyfp-t-901%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D4&w=768&h=1024&imgurl=clclt.com%2Fimager%2Fjapanese-beetle-trap%2Fb%2Foriginal%2F2343668%2F4178%2FP1090963-768x1024.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fclclt.com%2Ftheclog%2Farchives%2F2010%2F06%2F14%2Fbugs-the-gardeners-friend&size=286.1KB&name=%3Cb%3EJapanese%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3EBeetle%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3ETrap%3C%2Fb%3E&p=japanese+beetle+catcher&oid=d290dfd5752fab7bc0125e738b152a0d&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-901&tt=%3Cb%3EJapanese%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3EBeetle%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3ETrap%3C%2Fb%3E&b=0&ni=21&no=4&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=126ismte7&sigb=13hh44nfb&sigi=12j5fcdpo&sigt=119ujpdmu&sign=119ujpdmu&.crumb=Jd.R5CjArus&fr=yfp-t-901&fr2=piv-web
These are 1-2 gallon bags I'm guessing... I've seen them almost overflowing with Japanese Beetles, here in Iowa.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Orley:
It is a little-known scientific fact that Ladybugs are attracted to pipes (especially briars, but to meerschaums and cobs, too) and pipe-tobacco. The only sure fire way to rid your home of these bedeviling bugs is to pack up all of your pipes and tobaccos, and send them to me at once. As a service to you I will not charge you for their disposal, after all it's the least I can do for a fellow piper in need!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Maybe I should bait the traps with tobacco!"
No, no, no! This will simply attract MORE bugs, and that's the LAST thing that you want. As a case-in-point consider the pipester in Poughkeepsie who was similarly beset, and to whom I made this same offer. Unfortunately he was too slow in responding, and as a result his house collapsed under the weight of several millions of these bugs. It took emergency workers three days to rescue him. The sad thing is that even today he still stinks of Ladybug!
Save yourself and your Missus before it's too late! Send me your pipes (at least the better ones) and tobaccos now!

Status
Not open for further replies.