PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013

I can't believe I picked up this little gem for $35 on the bay. It was a bit funky and there are some small cracks on the rim. I sent it off to Walker Pipe Repair and they did a great job except they wouldn't touch the cracks but they told me that upfront. I'm going to use it was a flake pipe anyhow. If they cracks get worse, then I'll deal with it then via JB Weld on the outside and pipe mud on the inside.
I have a few British OTC Virginia flakes waiting patiently to be smoked.... St Bruno and Walnut Flake are on deck...... It's only 24g, a perfect lunting pipe.....
(I also picked up a 1961 Shell but I paid $61 for it and the restoring turned out brown which seems strange for a Dunhill Shell but it still looks good to me).

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I suspect they do have some life left. The cracks aren't too bad. Honestly, I bought them precisely because I wanted to see what magic a professional repair guy like Mike Walker could do (I am impressed) and if that wasn't enough, then I felt I'm ready to try a more serious restoration (which I'll get to down the road).
I have given away a few pipes but I have yet to resell a pipe and suspect I never will. Hence, resale value is a pretty low priority for me.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Handsome little pipe. And had at such a steal. Congrats. I wouldn't worry about the cracks. I've a few with cracks and they're none the worse for wear. Enjoy that puppy.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Ok, why didn't you guys tell me earlier? I loaded up the little Bruyere with some Players Navy Cut flake and.... wow! From the initial light, it was the easiest draw I've ever experienced. I've been smoking pipes for over 10 years and I have some pretty nice pipes in the collection but nothing was this easy. It's hard to quantify but if a good draw was like sipping a soft drink through a straw and a bad draw was a milkshake....this was just like breathing. If I try the Panel Billiard that I bought with it and it's as nice then I might be having a fire sale on my other pipes.
This could easily end up being the most expensive $35 I've spent in this hobby since my first pipe.
In one single puff, I get why people like their Dunhills so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.