PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
Hey!
I just had my first bowl of Esoterica's Dunbar, and feel underwhelmed and unsatisfied... Am I missing something? It didn't taste bad, I was just expecting more...

P

pipebuddy

When it comes to Esoterica tobaccos, people often end up rather disappointed when they have the opportunity to try them. Because they are very scarce and sell at the speed of light, one expects nothing short of extraordinary. When one gets some, at last, he's in for a reality check. :wink:

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
I prefer a nice Lane VaPer Flake over it, which is sad since the flake is cheaper... I don't know, maybe I'll like it more when it's aged or when I'm older.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The problem is the hype. These are good blends, but designed toward the mild experience, and so when hyped as "the ultimate thing ever" they cannot live up to that (impossible) standard.

P

pipebuddy

Speaking of Esoterica, Stonehaven now gets released once per century (well, feels like that, anyway) on the American market. But Rich Dark Flake (which is similar) is available to the British market on a regular basis.

Thus the question: What's wrong with the picture? :wink:

Oct 7, 2016
I split a bag of Dunbar with a forum member back in the Spring and was disappointed. I had smoked it years before and it didn't taste at all like I remembered it. I jarred it and tried a few bowls three or four weeks ago and it was much better, more layered and spicier.
I suspect that (in fact I am sure) that the Dunbar I smoked back then (pre 2002) had set around the distribution channel for a fairly long time. I have had similar reactions to other ET and Germain current production (King Charles comes to mind.)
Reminds me of what happened to La Gloria Cubana cigars when the cigar boom hit. I used to order Charlemagnes straight from the factory in Miami. I had several empty wooden boxes and you could save a little money by having them shipped just bundled and wrapped in newspaper. I came home one afternoon and there on my doorstep was a large box from UPS. I opened the box, and there inside, well protected by foam peanuts was a sopping wet Miami Herald covering 25 Maduro Charlemagnes. Cigars need to ""set" a little while, a step that was often skipped when the boom hit in the early 1990's. I suspect pipe tobacco does, too, and the rush to get products in the consumers hands comes at a price. (The LGC's turned out fine, just had to put them in one of my empty wood boxes for a few weeks. )

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I would say YES you are missing something! Put it in a jar and try it another time, it could be that you’re just not ready for it... or, it’s not ready for you!
I feel the exact same way about Esotericas Virginias and VaPers. Not bad, but too “meh” for such a hard to obtain brand. There are so many better Virginias and VaPers that are cheaper and more abundant.

I really think it all depends on what our palates pick up on, high notes, low notes and what not. It’s so odd how that works, for me, Esoterica’s VA are stellar, nothing beats them and for others it’s juse meh. Dunbar is, by far, one of the tastiest VaPers I’ve ever tried.

Mar 29, 2016
I love the J.F.Germain products and loathe their Esoterica Tobacciana line, there's nothing esoteric about a strong casing, the secret recipe...wink,wink. I guess I'm lucky then since Germain's tobaccos are easier to find.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
So which would be better to keep, the apricot aspect or the VA fullness? When I have less of a cold I'll try it again, but for now, it's not for me.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
So which would be better to keep, the apricot aspect or the VA fullness? When I have less of a cold I'll try it again, but for now, it's not for me.

Wait, wait, wait! You’re telling me you have a cold right now? And still you thought to whip up an entire thread on the fact that you can’t taste anything special in Dunbar and that you are underwhelmed... well no shit, Sherlock! Did you not think to wait and try it later when you don’t have a cold? I have a cold right now and I don’t even bother smoking anything let alone a fine VaPer such as Dunbar, of course you’re not gonna taste anything, you have a cold!
Get well soon! And when ya do, give Dunbar another try.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've never tried it "fresh".

I opened a tin from 2009 back in the Spring of this year.

For me, I don't love the topping on the perique they use. I find it to be a tad overbearing.
I recently opened a tin of Dorchester and found the cut and flavoring to be more tolerable for me. Still needs plenty of drying out..
I think the perique they use would be stupendous with very minimal casing and no topping.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Wait, wait, wait! You’re telling me you have a cold right now? And still you thought to whip up an entire thread on the fact that you can’t taste anything special in Dunbar and that you are underwhelmed... well no shit, Sherlock! Did you not think to wait and try it later when you don’t have a cold? I have a cold right now and I don’t even bother smoking anything let alone a fine VaPer such as Dunbar, of course you’re not gonna taste anything, you have a cold!

Get well soon! And when ya do, give Dunbar another try.
:rofl: :rofl: :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.