PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
No question it's part of the first/original factory stamping and not some sort of dealer inventory mark added later. Also, the shape 59 was, and still is, a standard. What's your best guess about the "/1-37" following the shape number? (Everything about the pipe is normal, btw. No unusual stem shape, connector, filter, or the like.)
Muchacho gracioso. :puffy:
P3224585.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
So far, a 1946 Dunhill Shell. 59/1 the shape number/and inner tube size. The 3 and the 7...? Pipe worked on by Dunhill in 1947 and 1953...?
:|

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
A-ha! The /1 is the tube size "part" of the shape number, meaning the fainter & smaller 37 IS likely a post production addition.
In which case it could mean anything, of course. Lynwood Hines' and Bob Hamlin's Dunhill book (the one that everybody thinks was researched by John Loring, but wasn't--he just packaged their work and took credit for it :evil: ), says that such additions weren't tracked in Dunhill's stamping logs.
Thanks Mr. Dave. You're a good man regardless of what Kevin says, OK? Just ignore him. :lol:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I have a 1969 Shell that has the correct date code, but also shows a 0. I've also heard it said additional date codes can refer to when the pipe was sold (brginning the clock on the guarantee). So maybe this pipe was sold in 1947, and then some work was done by Dunhill, a new stem for example, in 1953.
:)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
George I thought you knew these things?
Enough to get by regarding the basics (and then only what I've absorbed osmotically over the years).
I'd much rather smoke 'em and work on 'em than deal with historical minutiae. Plus, turning the Irregulars loose gets a higher quality result in less time than I could, even if I was inclined to be a researcher... it's a rabid Hive Mind that never rests. :lol:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You're both dead wrong about the extra stampings. These were added as a form of amusement on the part the factory staff, who, having observed the intense obsessiveness of Dunhillites, added these meaningless stampings just to foment wild and hysterically absurd speculation as to their meaning. And if a drunken brawl or two broke out in the local pub over a disagreement over the meaning of a particular mark, so much the better. Until the staff were at last carted off to the local looney bin, fake markings provided them with a much needed release from their miserable working conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.