PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kj123

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
Hello community!
First time poster here. I've just bought a couple of pipes, a nice (not too cheap, not expensive) Churchwarden pipe and an awfully cheap one (because it was so incredibly cheap and I wanted to try it). The churchwarden seems to work and draw nicely but this very cheap one doesn't draw whatsoever, It's got me thinking that this is a dud pipe because I've looked very carefully into this pipe but I cannot see anything to toggle (for example) in order for it to draw - I don't know if there if there are any common problems when purchasing pipes that might fix it but if anyone has similar issues could you let me know?
I can perfectly understand if this is a dud pipe, what with it being £4 (roughly $6 USD) - and it not even being worth it to send it back seen as how I'm enjoying my Churchwarden.
Peace
Ken.

kj123

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
Here's three pictures, one of the entire pipe, one of the bowl and one down what I think is the shank? After some testing it's nothing to do with the stem at all - just the bowl half of the pipe. It's very hard to see down I know, best photo I could take.
http://postimg.cc/image/vgsz08m6p/

http://postimg.cc/image/5f04rp0lt/

http://postimg.cc/image/ewzvrqma9/
I've taken a pipe cleaner and a makeshift pipe nail to see if there's anything directly blocking the hole from under the bowl to go up the stem but can't seem to find anything.
I might try being a bit rougher with it - it's not the end of the world if anything gets damaged as mentioned it was so cheap.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I can honestly say that I have never seen a pipe with that kind of metal-looking insert in the bowl. (Which is leading me to believe that the surrounding material isn't even wood.)
Personally, I wouldn't waste any time on trying to turn this thing into a good smoking instrument. I don't know what it was intended for, but it was not designed for good-quality tobacco. And it's definitely not going to give you the kind of rewarding experience you would get from any of the other materials that are used in quality pipes: briar, meerschaum, corn cob, and clay.
My advice: Chalk it up to a lesson learned and throw it away. Far away.
Bob

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Sorry to break the news but that is not a Tobacco Pipe. That is a "Tobacco" pipe if you get my drift. Sure it could work but I wouldn't waste my time trying to fix it as it would probably smoke really hot as I doubt the wood used was even briar if it is even wood at all. The bowl is a metal insert. A real Briar tobacco pipe has no bowl insert at all (at least most, some have meerschaum lining them). I have seen a lot of these pipes in various head shops. They are usually super light and very cheap, both price and quality.
Try ordering something from one of our site sponsors on the left side of this page. I am guessing you are in England and some of them are in Europe. Neat pipes is I know and I think 4noggins or Cup O Joes mails internationally from the US. You could also buy something off of BriarBid.

kj123

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
Yeah I totally understand, not even bothered it being a pile of s*** as it was only £4 ;-) Definitely lesson learnt. I'll have a look at the links on the left as you mentioned but for now I'm happy with my Churchwarden :)
Thanks to both of you chaps.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If that's the most you ever spend on a bum pipe, you're doing fine. The one or two I've bought that didn't work out

were real tobacco pipes but just not designed well, in one case, or just weren't my thing at various levels. There are

so many good pipes out there. Spend a little more on a well-made pipe. There are even some great pipes at the

low-low end, the ever-popular and always appreciated Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes for one good example.

Don't let this put you off. I just bought a very reasonably priced U.S. machine-made pipe, Dr. Grabow, and it's

a terrific smoker, if you need something inexpensive for now for a rotation. Or the cobs will do fine.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I purchased one just like that, same design and everything as my first pipe purchase ever. I had to throw it away and bought a $25 pipe from the local B&M to learn pipe smoking with. I would recommend doing the same thing with it, it's not worth the tobacco you stuff inside it.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I have a friend that ordered a pipe from that exact maker. The problem is (if it is, as I'm thinking, the same pipe) the metal bowl is an insert and it's a decent height above the draft hole. Moisture and tobacco casing drains to the bottom, leaving the good stuff up top, and forming a quasi-bong effect. Hell, it might even be an intended bong-in-disguise. :crazy:
Essentially, I had him remove the metal bowl insert and throw it away. It still isn't a good pipe, but he can draw from it now. I second the motion about the Missouri Meerschaum Cob pipes. They're cheap and excellent smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.