PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicmike

Lurker
Mar 11, 2014
Hello,
I am a new member and relatively new to pipe smoking. I recently aquired a dublin shaped pipe. I was told later that the dublin shape can be picky about tobaccos. Is that true? Can I still smoke my mild english and balkan blends in that pipe? Thanks in advance for all of the help.
Mike

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Try anything you want in it. I only have one dublin and over time it has become my go to for Frog Morton(english/aromatic). That doesn't mean I will not try other tobaccos in it. It also smokes Anniversary Kake(VAPER), and Vanilla Flake(Aromatic) very well.
Since you are new I would hesitate to tell you to limit yourself to anything, especially if you only have a couple of pipes.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
In time you will discover that certain blends will perform better in certain pipes. That does not mean you cannot smoke other blends in those pipes, it doesn't even mean that the other blends won't be enjoyable. Hell, depending on how you pack the tobacco it's taste will vary. All that being said, you have to experiment before you will know what works for you.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I have two pairs of identical (to the pair) Dublins, each smokes a different blend well. In the pair of French Algerians, one smokes anything with Latakia like a champ, but turns any Virginia into bland steam. In the other, Latakia turns acrid and bitter, but VA/OR blends come to perfection.
All the rules are general. Each individual pipe is different, you just have to go by trial and error....but don't put heavy Aro's and Lat Bombs at the head of the trials. :)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I dedicate my pipes to different blends, but I never tie pipe shapes/styles to specific types of tobaccos. I've only got one Dublin, and it's dedicated to English blends, but that was purely a random choice. As others have said: "Smoke anything you want in it." Yes, certain blends may perform better in specific shapes, but I believe you'd have to have a very experienced palate to notice any differences. And some of us never worry about this. IMO, I think it's much more important at this point to simply work on learning how to pack your different blends to suit your smoking style and, then, develop an understanding of all of the different tobacco styles/leaf that are available these days.
Bob

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Each pipe is, in it's own way, unique ... take two Dublins that look alike, the chances are they won't smoke alike for whatever reason ... so, some guy says his Dublin is picky about tobaccos but that isn't necessarily an indication that yours will be ...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My sense is that Dublins vary so much in configuration, you can't generalize. More than most other shapes, the

bowl tends to have a conical configuration, but I have a Dublin that has an inside bowl about like a billiard. I think

just try around. Your Dublin might like particular tobaccos, or you might just find certain blends more appetizing

in it. The breadth of the bowl and its size play a role. Wider bowls are said to give a better range of flavors from

more complex tobaccos. Still, I'd recommend the trial and error approach, and find out what tastes good in your

particular pipe. Some pipes do well with nearly everything.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Only to me for a dublin shape:

Aromatic : Best (cool and easy smoke with a bigger size)

English : Good (preper small size)

va/per : Avoid (too hot)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It depends on the size of the Dublin, the bowl width,the bowl depth, the weight. If the walls are greater than 1/4" if the pipe was made on a Monday, all of these will affect the taste of your tobacco.
Just smoke whatever you want and like said above, experiment and you will find what works best for you.

magicmike

Lurker
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks for all of the info. I have started out with Frog Morton Cellar and Mcclelland Anniversary 2010 blends. Both seem to be smoking fine.
Mike

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Your Dublin might like particular tobaccos, or you might just find certain blends more appetizing

in it. The breadth of the bowl and its size play a role. Wider bowls are said to give a better range of flavors from

more complex tobaccos.
Very interesting old thread which raises a perennial piping question; put succinctly: 'does the tobacco pick its pipe or the reverse or does it matter [es macht nicht auf Deutsch]?'
I think the answer is not one of the responses but all three being possible. This is why I find one must just try out combinations. That said, after experimenting with combinations a bit, I do find 90% of the time it is the pipe which 'picks or plays best with' certain tobaccos, especially with larger, well-endowed bowls (like dublins and pots) and complex tobacco blends. I find with smaller, less well-endowed bowls it matters little. What makes this issue rather curious for me is that, my father swears it is his tobacco which picks the type of pipe in every case. I can see this when one dedicates a pipe to a specific tobacco.
I think MSO, whom I quoted, summarizes the debate very well. I like hearing other pipers take on this, as I find it can open up my mind to other reasons and experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.