PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Dublin shape seems to be one of the most various of all shapes, maybe the most various.

Dublins go all the way from a strict conical bowl on an absolutely straight shank and stem, to

square stems and more blocky, though still somewhat conical bowls. You might say that the

freestyle is most protean, but the openness of that shape has almost lead to a kind of sameness,

or at least repetition. Also, the Dublin is one of the most frequently done -- after traditional

classics like the billiard and its Lovat and Canadian cousins, the bulldog, and the Rhodesian. But

the Dublin seems to maintain its identity and still spawn a huge variety of versions. Do you feel

this way about the Dublin? Other shapes?

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I tend to like traditional shapes, but the Dublin in many forms pushes the boundary between a defined traditional shape and a freehand shape.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
If you look at the grain of a plateu briar block, the Dublin is the shape, which will follow the grain best. Because the form demands for a conical smoke chamber, the shape is often connected with smoking of flakes.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I personally think the term dublin is used much too easily and often. In my opinion not every pipe with a conical bowl is a dublin.
To me dublin is a classical shape straight or half bent with a round or oval shank and conical bowl typically with a slight forward cant. Many will disagree.
EDIT:
Examples. These were all called dublins, but I consider only one of them a dublin shape:
XYxBq7s.png

t9qAJYP.png

qbxGYQF.png

5yRHoS0.png

Reactions: vates
I've read it said that Dublin is the overall category for a lot of different styles. The characteristic is conical, as has been stated above. The zulu, freehand, etc.. are styles in the Dublin category. Like a catfish is in the fish category, so to speak. Or, at least that is how I've seen it defined by others on this forum.
But, yeh, I prefer the pure Dublin with a slight canted moderate cone on semi bent pencil shank myself. That is what I immediately think of when I hear Dublin. But, apparently, it has a more vast definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.