PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Last night I sat down at my desk with a glass of bourbon and a nice bowl of Meat Pie. This morning I awoke to an empty bottle, a pile of briar shavings and an unfamiliar pipe.
Piecing together what had happened, I apparently finished the bourbon and decided to rusticate my pipe. With a Buck knife. Evidently I carved all the varnish on the bowl off, then stained the bowl with some Kiwi Parade Gloss.
Now, generally I am not a fan of rusticated pipes, but it actually doesn't look too bad. Just.. carved, instead of gouged out with a chisel. The mostly black bowl is interesting as well.
The only concern I have is the boot polish. Is that safe or should I sand it down and refinish it? It's a drug store Grabow, nothing fancy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The carving sounds great, the boot polish maybe not so much. You could try a bowl and see if the polish gasses

off a lot of fumes when it warms up. A lot of dyes and pigments are toxic if inhaled in any quantity. I'd sand it off

and just let the tobacco infuse the bowl. Unfinished pipes usually finish themselves nicely.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
8O ...and I thought booze and tobacco mixed. I guess not so much if you're unsupervised. :lol:
Next time, we're making you the designated smoker. :lol:

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
That's hilarious! You've got to take a pic!! Did you survive the night with no Band-Aids or sutures?

Status
Not open for further replies.