PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
I have found some Sir Walter, Prince Albert and Captain Black. Found a couple other Middleton blends, Apple and Cherry. Also have a pouch of Paladin Black Cherry in my cupboard. Anything else I need to try that is considered OTC or drug store blends? I know there are other, better brands out there. I have a tin of Frog Morton and Penzance in the cupboard also.

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
Would anyone be willing to send me a pinch of Paladin Black Cherry? It's over $20 bucks for 50grams of these "drug store" brands where I'm from and I don't have that kind of cash to shell out just to try bowl. It would be greatly appreciated.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
I've tried most of them. My favorites are...
Prince Albert, Velvet (damn good smoke!), Captain Black White and Royal, and Paladin Black Cherry (one of the few aromatics and or cherry blends that actually tastes the way it smells. Love it!)

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Having tried Prince Albert and Captain Black in the white pouch, I decided to pick up Carter Hall to add to my Tour of OTC's. Just finished my first ever bowl of this and it totally hit the spot. First smoke of the day, early morning, nothing fancy or demanding. Just plain good. I'm almost tempted to stop my tour here, Carter Hall just makes sense to me. 8)

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Carter Hall is the one OTC tobacco I like the most. Years ago that's all I smoked.

xoibsurferx

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2011
Monroe, NC
I'd also love to try some Paladin Black Cherry since I am unable to find it locally.
Prince Albert isn't too bad but it seems to leave a bad aftertaste (at least the Cherry/Vanilla does). I also have a pouch of Captain Black white but I'm not a big fan of the whiskey flavor so I may try the royal.
I'm trying to steer clear of mostly all the drug store stuff but its what I have right now. I'm waiting on a free sample of "Madrid" a cherry blend from Sterling tobacco which I am very excited to try and a guy on this forum is sending me some english blends and some surprises which I'm also very excited for! Maybe I'll find someone I truly love and have to order some!

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Paladin Black Cherry... I really wish I could have tried this.
I purchased a pouch of this about a week ago at my local Ingles doing some grocery shopping. Of course, the immature child that I am, I couldn't wait till I got home to open the pouch and have a sniff. So I opened it up in the car and took a big whiff. My gag reflex almost murdered me. All I could smell was playdoh. Yes. Playdoh. This may or may not sound like a big deal to some of you, but when I was a child I had a bit of an incident with playdoh. As in, I ate quite a few mouthfuls one day at preschool and now the mere thought of playdoh has me running to the bathroom gagging.
On paper, I would love cherry flavor/aroma in my tobacco. But something about the flavoring agent or whatever humectant chemicals are in Paladin Black Cherry smell absolutely the same as playdoh to me. I couldn't even pack a bowl of the stuff to try and work past it. Anyhow, maybe its just me. Tons of people smoke the stuff and love it. Some smoke it and hate it. I couldn't get past the pouch aroma. :cry:

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
CARTER HALL!! i call it my white bread smoke who doesnt like white bread? nuttin fancy but ya dont need fancy all the time if ya smoke like i do (all day long)

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
Where I live the OTCs cost the same as the good stuff. There's no reason to try them at the silly prices we pay here.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
OTCs are pricey here also--but i still stock and smoke 'em--guess i just like to dance with who 'brung me--

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
macnutz, if you haven't tried any American Classic Blends, aka OTCs, how can you be sure they're not also The Good Stuff? Just asking, not trying to argue.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I wonder if anyone tunes their OTCs. I've been mixing Half&Half with Irish Flake but the result wasn't that good. I wonder which good one could be used with Amphora...

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
wonder if anyone tunes their OTCs. I've been mixing Half&Half with Irish Flake but the result wasn't that good. I wonder which good one could be used with Amphora...
I will take Walnut and PA and fine tune with latakia, About 2oz to a can, then I jar it up and let it set for about 6 months, I also like Walnut and PA just as they are, They are both fine smokes straight up. :puffy:

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
Jaybird and surfer, PM your addresses and I'll get some Paladin headed your way. Anything else? Anyone else? Bought a pouch of Half & Half yesterday. Haven't seen Walnut anywhere locally. Did finally find Grainger though. Still need to grab one. Maybe today or tomorrow.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
revs: I would add Amphora to your buying list but it's been discontinued in the USA. Maybe track down some Sail Yellow or Green if you can get it. I found some old pouches of Yellow mummifying behind a supermarket counter. With a little remoistening, they turned out to be pretty great, similar in style to my dearly departed Amphora.
A parfait of Prince Albert and Paladin Black Cherry is very nice. It helps mellow out the intense cherry bomb of the Paladin.
In my opinion, Middleton Cherry Blend is the one cherry tobacco that got it right - a very understated whiff of cherry candy fragrance, not goopy or wet. The cherry is so far in the background when lit, I sometimes wonder if it is even a cherry blend. Just a classic old time pipey aroma and taste. Smoking some now with my morning coffee. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.