PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I grew up in an area where a lot of Italian folks lived.I became good friends with many of them.Under their influence I discovered that liked to drink wine.About 25 years ago my doctor advised me that I have a condition that is not condusive to alcohol.Since then I take pills instead of drinking.My wife still enjoys a glass of wine on ocassion.A couple of days ago I decided just to try a small glass.The doc must have been right.For a couple of hours after that I had a pretty nasty head ache.So I guess I'm on the wagon again..Sometimes it seems like the only thing in life that isn't bad for me is my pipe..Another reason I guess that I like it so much.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Puffy, I had two spinal surgeries and was diagnosed with MS about two years ago. I used to drink heavily but now after a year of not being able to drink I don't miss it. I did the same thing a month ago, ordered a glass of Merlot with dinner, mistake! I got an instant headache after half a glass, we had to have half our dinner wrapped and I was in agony the next day, all day. Red wine is the culprit it has something to do with the Tannin in the skins. I can enjoy a seltzer, coffee or herbal tea just as well as wine or Bourbon without the after effects. But you will have pry my fav plain E. Wilke Billiard with a P&W aro out of my cold dead hands! :lol:

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
My tolerance for red wine has also diminished as I've grown older. I absolutely love red wine but after a glass or two I'll get these horrible headaches. Now I rarely drink it but I have grown to really enjoy whites and even some roses. I don't have the same reaction to them--I think natenice is correct regarding the tannin levels. Apparently they are much lower in whites.
Still, I really do love the rich and bold flavors of quality reds--nothing really quite like them! Especially when paired with a big steak or a pasta with a hearty red sauce!

tinkertank

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2014
I'm a heavy red drinker, the bolder the better. My fiancee is a white drinker and prefers sweet over dry.
Though with a nice steak, I'd prefer to drink a nice dark beer. :)

When I was much younger, I tried drinking beer, wine, whisky, and all of it just gave me a sick feeling. My stomach and head would hurt, and it just gave me the feeling like I had a flu virus. I tried, I really tried to get used to it in college, but it just wasn't for me. With the genetics of Irish and Welsh, you'd think... but no.

With a few cups of coffee and tobacco I can loosen up enough socially to have a good time. I guess we each have a certain chemistry that makes things affect us differently. Coffee and fruit juices are my liquors, and tobaccos are my heroine, ha ha. At least I wont spend any time in jail if I over do it. :puffy:

Dec 24, 2012
I am a wine drinker and collector and am thankful I don't suffer from headaches. This is a good summary of possible causes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wine_headache

Status
Not open for further replies.