PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
What I mean is that I drilled it like the old Danish masters do it for the first time. Up until now I have been synching my block in the lathe chuck and then pushing a stationary bit into the spinning block. But the block I am working on is too big to fit in the chuck, so I decided to do it old style. I put the bit into the chuck and got it spinning then holding the block in my hand pushed it onto the bit. It came out perfect. I've watched videos of guys doing it and thought, "that is impossible I'll never be able to do that,", but seeing no other choice than to drill it on the drill press I gave it a shot and I'm very pleased with the results. Here is the block after drilling. The stem is from another pipe, just put it in for show.

Aug 1, 2012
That look perfect. I'm impressed. I'll have to commission one of your pipes before you get too famous because if you keep the quality I've seen from your pipes up, you will be.

Jan 8, 2013
I've been wanting to get a pre-drilled hunk of briar like that, so I could try making myself a freehand style pipe. Since I'm staying at a hotel right now, I'll have to do it outside with hand tools, such as files and rasps and sandpaper. I bet that thing is going to be a beauty when your finished with it.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
IF I tried that Dave the hole would have came out on the side of the block a 1/2" from the chamber! I've watched several videos of pipemakers doing freehand drilling- I find it amazing that it can be done!

Status
Not open for further replies.