PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Ok guys, I need a little guidance here.
I have a 4 inch soft buffing wheel, an arbor adapter and 3 drills. I am looking to shine up my pipes with some carnauba wax.
I have a single speed Black and Decker that I would really like to use as my buffing drill, but the speed is 2500 RPM and I fear that may be too quick...think this will work?
My other 2 drills are impact drivers and I don't have a impact adapter to take on a standard drill chuck and don't feel like spending 30 bucks to get one...I can get a whole new corded drill for that.
So am I hosed? Just get a new drill or the impact adapter? Or will my 2500 RPM drill work ok?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I would think you would have to have a very light handed approach to make 2500 RPM work. I just bought a variable speed corded drill for this very purpose and it's been working very well for me. In RPM it ranges from 0-2700. At the high end the buffer pad throws a lot fibers and compound. It's pretty easy to snag the pipe and have it hurled across the room at those high speeds. That's just my experience. Other's may vary.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Hmmm
I wonder if they make an arbor adapter for an impact driver...
Also I just have some unused DICO soft buffing wheels...those should work right? :lol:

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
I can get the impact driver chuck for only 30 bucks...and my impact driver has multi speeds.
So I dont want a new drill. Maybe I will just get a polishing cloth haha

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If you're just going to be waxing I'd think the drill you have would work fine. It would even work for buffing(with a compound)--as long as you use a light touch and patience.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Yeah I plan on just waxing...I have the carnauba wax on the way already...so I guess I will just give it a go!
I just hope the wheel I have works haha. It's just a DICO soft buffing wheel.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Find an older, used 1725 motor (mine is an old Furnace motor). A pad adapter/arbor is available from Jestco for about 15 bucks. I started with a drill, mounted in a bench vise. 2500 rpm isn't too bad, just be careful, particularly with the more aggressive compounds.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
I don't plan on using any compounds. I hand do all my stems and I am only looking to carnauba wax my briars.
Where should I look for one of these fabled 1725 RPM motors? This isn't the first time I have seen them brought up.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
For just carnuba wax, your drill cant do any damage. If you want a motor, Craigslist is the best place. Or, call your local electric motor repair (even smaller towns have one). That is a pretty commonly used motor. Of course there is always Ebay.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Cool, thanks for the tips ssjones!
I will hit up craigslist and just go with the drill I have for now I suppose!
Any tips on what kind of buffer wheels to use?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
www.jestcoproducts.com has the best prices on pads.

For Carnuba wax, I use a loose (unsewn) cotton wheel.

For white diamond or tripolie (rarely used), I go with sewn cotton wheels.

If you are patient on Craigslist, motors do turn up with some frequency. Old washing machine motors are also great. i see a bunch of those at our county dump. That reminds me to pull one the next time I go. Usually with washers, it is the transmission that goes.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Awesome! Thanks for the guidance ssjones!
Your wealth of knowledge has been very helpful to me and I am not nearly as scared as I was!
Matter of fact I just pulled the trigger on buying a 2oz brick of carnauba! So I am all in now!
Again, a thousand thanks! :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.