PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briardan

Lurker
Feb 8, 2015
I recently seen a new Drew Estate contraption that looks like something i could make using tools out of a craftsman toolbox! Is anyone else annoyed by this? Especially at a price tag of $250! I'd assume a $20 Falcon is more manageable. I appreciate the true craftsmanship of a quality made briar. I'm not partial to meershaums, but i can see the skill and the artistic value they require.

briardan

Lurker
Feb 8, 2015
If they were in the $80 range, I wouldn't comment on them. Looks more like a pot pipe to me. They will probably start making glass inserts if they don't do well in the TOBACCONIST indusry.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Why annoyed? If you don't like it, don't buy it.
The pipes in question are made by Tsuge, and have some interesting design elements, such as the screw-on cap with the Drew Estate logo (which can be screwed onto the base of the pipe, out of the way while actually smoking). I don't find the aesthetics to be all that, myself, and certainly not at that price point, but like any other pipe that's not to my personal taste, I just shrug it off and turn the page in the catalog.

briardan

Lurker
Feb 8, 2015
Maybe we should make some of our own pipes from the junk drawers in random areas of the house and post our pics! I think i got a flashlight i can make into a makeshift pipe. I will make sure thr light is still functional.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I agree with Sam, Drew Estate is trying to pull in their cigar customers who love fancy lighters, cigar cutters that look medieval, etc. For that kind of cash, I'd probably pop for a Nate King instead (those are hate/love as well). But no one at the local trendy Cigar shop is going to give a hoot about Nate King. Mention your pipe is a Drew Estate and "bing", suddenly everyone is duly impressed.
I met a guy at a local pipe club who owns one and loves it. I was able to examine it closely a few months ago and it is light years ahead of a Falcon in engineering and precision. If anyone here can make these piece our a tool box (or even a decent machine shop), I'd have to see it to believe it. No offense, but I don't think most decent machinists could pull this off and sell them at a much lower price. A friend of mine owns a machine shop and does a lot of military grade work. He made some spigots for my restaurants for ketchup/sauce dispenser. They were like the plastic tab pulls on a coffee urn, etc. but machined from aluminium (we kept breaking the plastic ones). They were $50 each at a 100 pc minimum. I think he would laugh if I asked him how much to make these items. The laugh would be code for - you can't afford them!
DE_PIPE_COLLECTION_BY_TSUGE_GRP31.jpg

Are these pipes my cup of tea? No they are not. I don't find Corncob pipes or Falcons attractive, but folks love them. What ever floats your boat, right?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I do get a kick out of the reaction of some of the members when they see something different and novel. Sometimes they just get so wound up! Imagine getting annoyed at an inanimate object. It's a shameful waste of a good "annoyance!"

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Not my cuppa either, but I do like the regular Tsuge metal pipes. Thanks for the additional perspective, Al. Pipemaker Trevor Talbert mentioned on another forum that he has one and really likes it.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
I think they look kind of cool......$250 to own one cool? No, but cool none the less.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I kinda like 'em. Especially the cover- pack a bowl, screw on the cover, toss it in a pocket and worry not. Though 99 cent wind caps serve the same purpose for me.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Why annoyed? If you don't like it, don't buy it
Exactly!
As far as the engineering and quality no is going to build one from garage junk.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
@samcoffeeman, if you smoke an English try drew estates Meat Pie. I found it to be a medium smoke good flavor. When I can I want to try their flake
John

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Sunday while I was at Fox Cigar Bar I saw the 3 varations of this pipe. I found them interesting but not $278.00
John

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Eh, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. They don't appeal to me (nor do Falcons) but plenty of people like 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.