PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippiebrian

Lurker
Jul 1, 2014
I had owned a couple drug store MM Legends I used when working around the yard, in the garage, on the motorcycle, etc. and decided that I wanted to make sure I had a few always available, so I ordered a couple bags of seconds from MM. The bags arrived and contained a couple Great Danes, a Diplomat and a Country Gentleman. Now, the reason I didn't smoke cobs all the time is that I thought all of their bowls were Legend sized. In fact, I ignorantly thought I owned a CG, however it was just a Legend in a CG shape.
Well, those bigger bowls are great! I had a smoke in the CG last night, and it smoked better than any of the briars I own. Long story short, I worked some overtime (read extra money) and bought a full rotation of cobs. Now I'm wondering how often the briars are going to get smoked. I have drunk from the Koolaid pitcher and found it tasty.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Me too. As for having picked up a KY legend. Then...I started looking into this pipe smoking stuff and found Aristocob on youtube...the first of his videos I watched extolled the virtues of the Country Gent.

I'll jump on one one of these days...it seems that simplicity and perfection are often collaborators.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I think I have about 8 briars, and 3 cobs, one of which is a Country Gent, and when picking out what I'm smoking for the night, I most always reach for the Country Gent. That dude has been smoking like a train in my rotation. I smoke just about everything but aromatics in it and I haven't found one blend that it didn't smoke well.
At this point, with my focus on stockpiling tobacco, I'll buy some more cobs just so I can actually rest them a bit more in the rotation. Going to pick up a pair of walker stems for each straight and bent offerings. I should be set for the next year or so for pipes.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
After 40+ years of pipe smoking I finally tried a cob.

It came from P&C as part of one of their promotions that they ran several months ago.

Now I am now a convert. PAD even pushed me to add a second one to my collection.

I really didn't know what I was missing.

It is a really cool dry smoking experience. :puffpipe:

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I smoke the bejabbers out of my MM 5th Avenue Diplomat.

I want to be buried with my favorite briar pipe, but my family will probably stick that cob pipe in my hand caused that's what they're used to seeing.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Previously from hippiebrian:
... really can't see a giant cob in front of my face as an option
Glad to hear that you've come around ... welcome to the "Cob Side"! :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't regard my cobs (MM and Old Dominion) as spares or rough duty pipes. Three of my four MM have Forever

stems, and the other has a softie bit to retain its filter capability. Don't use it much, but now and then. Cobs are

just a great smoke and a great tradition. If you are going to drink Kool-Aid, that's the Kool-Aid to drink.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Not a big fan of cobs, have had a lot of trouble with them. Their Ozark Mountain hardwoods are a different story, my desk is littered with them. I could probably fore-go briar for these things if I had too.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
What kind of trouble, torque?
Had the shank come out of a couple and every one I've ever owned had the stem loosen up on them to some degree (usually to a large degree) in a very short period of time. With the Ozark series being at the same price point, I just never saw the point in messing with trying to fix any of the cobs. The shank material is different than the cobs and have never had a problem with expansion and since the construction is identical, I still get that incredible smoke that makes cobs so desirable.
Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the cobs I've had for a certain period of time but for long term usage they just aren't my cup of tea. I just really dig the hardwoods over the cobs and smoke them more than I do briar these days. Just solid workhorses that I don't mind lighting with a bic or taking out of the house for the daily commute.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Ah yes ... there can be minor construction issues.
Loose stems are easily fixed but I understand where you're coming from.
since the construction is identical, I still get that incredible smoke that makes cobs so desirable.
The Ozark line is hardwood, not corncob, so you are not getting the "cob properties" in those.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Cobguy, what is your recommendation for fixing the loose stems? I love cobs and recently bout a gent that wouldn't fit any of my MM stems. They were all very loose.
Thanks,

Bill

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
The Ozark line is hardwood, not corncob, so you are not getting the "cob properties" in those.
That's true I guess, I was referring to the draw being the same. Out of curiosity, what would you say the difference between the two would be once carbon has built in both? I honestly have noticed that much of a difference between the two but admittedly never kept using a cob past the point where the stem began to loosen so I don't consider myself particularly well versed.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I'm far from a pipe snob, but I guess I just have never really understood the allure.
Perhaps because you never experienced the pleasure of smoking one?

C'mon... for the low price pull the damn trigger, buy one and you'll know just why so many swear by them. Although I have my share of briars I always know that I'll get a good smoke from an MM cob. If not, then I know full well that I more likely than not either packed it wrong, or there was a moisture issue with the tobacco. Bottom line... in a pinch its my go to pipe and I would never be without them. :wink:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Cobguy, what is your recommendation for fixing the loose stems?
The safe method is to apply a little beeswax ... this actually works on loose AND tight stems.

Just apply a small amount to the tenon when the pipe is completely cooled and dry.

After a couple of smokes it should be snugged up.
The more fun, ie. risky, method is to hold the tenon over a very small flame.

Don't let it touch the flame and constantly rotate the tenon for about 3 seconds.

Then, press the tenon down on a hard surface. Let it cool off and check the fit.
what would you say the difference between the two would be once carbon has built in both?
I don't really let cake build up in my cobs.

The cob's natural properties allow heat and moisture to escape and a heavy cake prevents this.

A quick wipe after each smoke with a paper towel or folded over pipe cleaner keeps a nice carbon

layer without letting it build up to a cake.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Cobs suck. Ok well not really, but they are a mediocre smoke, not a high quality product but a do ya in a pinch situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.