Dr. Grabow Westbrook Restoration (first try)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Hello all,
I recently stumbled across the forum and saw these beautiful pictures of restored pipes, so I decided to try this myself. I bought this pipe off eBay for almost nothing, and was pleased to see what bad shape it was in when I received it. I figured that the worse the pipe was, the more I'd learn when restoring it.
I took the following, basic measures I learned on here:

-Reamed the bowl

-cotton ball and alcohol treatment

-used OxiClean, Magic Eraser, and bleach on the stem

-Alpha Abrasives on the stem

-Murphy's Oil Soap on bowl

-I even heated the stem in water and bent it, let it harden, and then heated it again back to straight just so I'd have the experience before trying it on a more expensive estate pipe in the future.
And of course I cleaned the shank and stem endlessly until pipe cleaners came out clean. I need to purchase a shank brush. Probably the thing that surprised me the most was how long it took to get the cake off. There was a ton of cake on the bowl, and it took two sessions with the reamer and careful use of a pocket knife to get it all off.
I did take more pics than this, but they are on my wife's phone. The stem was quite oxidized when I got it, but I made it worse by (as I described above) bending it and unbending it just to try it. A bent stem wouldn't have worked on this pipe, but I figured it would be better to try it for the first time on a pipe I paid $5 for than on a pipe that I spent a lot on.
On the bowl, I just removed a little of the stain/finish with alcohol to even it out (it had some ugly flat spots) and then used Paragon Wax. I was thinking about sanding it down and restaining it, but I thought it looked OK like this. The finish fades to a more matte appearance after the wax sets for a while, but here it is with a fresh coat:
12558472_1815049655388846_690700133_n.jpg

I know this humble restoration is nothing compared to some of the masterworks I see here, but I was really happy with how it turned out, and it is all thanks to the wealth of information here! I had a really fun time working on the pipe, as I've never really worked with my hands in my life and this is totally new to me. Actually, I only smoked a piped for the first time about 8 weeks ago, so it's doubly new to me.
Looking forward to smoking the pipe this weekend!

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I hear you about the cake. I'm not quite as dedicated in my "restorations" (i.e., in my case, simply making a flea market pipe smokeable), and am still dealing with some resdidue on a couple of my pipes.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Welcome to the forums! I too like restoring old pipes, regardless of their pedigree. I like the one you did, and I admit that I restored a Westbrook also. I took the stinger out as I can't stand them, and is now a nice looking great smoking pipe! Congrats on your resto! :clap:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice job! I'd look into a different way to heat your stems for bending though. As you found out the quickest way to oxidize a vulcanite stem is put it in hot water. Not only the outside but the inside as well. You can use a flame-candle etc. if very careful or look for a cheap heat gun--Harbor Freight etc.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Beastinview:
You did good, man. Really good. Most DGs will never be the prettiest pig in the pen, but they will always be some of your best smokers. Your grain is popping here and it's lovely. Nice job.
Now, if you ever work on a rusticated burner, set aside the Paragon and reach for a jar of the older brother, Halcyon II. It works better on rougher finishes.
Please let us know how it smokes.
Fnord

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!
@ejames - My logic was that there was quite a bit of oxidation to remove anyway, so the water method wouldn't make it so much worse. That said, it did increase oxidation a LOT, so I definitely would pursue a different method in the future, especially if the stem was not badly oxidized in the first place.
I'll see how it smokes this weekend sometime. I've never smoked a pipe with a stinger before, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.