PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
So while I was browsing my towns countless antique malls, I came across a selection of pretty beat up non name pipes, however one in particular caught my eye. The pipe was a sandblasted like Dr Grabow in a author shape, I believe little to no visible defects and a complete stinger, and for little under $10. Needless to say I picked it up and will soon see how she smokes after a good cleaning and tlc.

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
20160716_082257_zpsyrhwixwt.jpg
[/URL][/img]
20160716_082252_zps1pxmahe3.jpg
[/URL][/img]

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Shape 81 in what is called the "wire carved" finish. It was actually done with a cup type wire brush. Belvedere made between approx. 1955 to 1969 for RJ Reynolds as as coupon pipe.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nice find! I love that wire-carved finish; it is my favorite style of rustication and I wish Grabow would bring it back. The only thing similar I have noticed recently are the Stanwell "Brushed" series.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I actually have that exact same pipe, it's my understanding they are not frequently seen, and thus somewhat rare.
Mine came with the stinger, but I think it smokes better without it.
This pipe is one of my favorites, and is a stellar example of the top quality work Grabow used to do. It truly makes a modern production Grabow look like a basket pipe in comparison.
image_zpsjay3kdqn.jpeg

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
It definitely is a good pipe,and most definitely has the quality vs a new grabow. Not sure why but am pleasantly suprised to find another person with the same pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.