PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I can only weigh in on two of the three. I own one grabow omega bent, I love it a good pipe in all aspects. I just bought another on ebay for 7.00. My first pipe was a medico medialist(brylon) worst pipe I've ever smoked. I would never recommend anyone buy a brylon pipe, mine was a gift and without it I would have never got into pipe smoking. I think medico's briar pipes would be worth trying. Kaywoodies are supposed to be good but as of yet I haven't smoked one. Hope this helps, for what it's worth.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
The kaywoodies I have smoked seem to have been hit or miss. I have had a couple that smoked really well and a few that were obviously just a cheap pipe. I stopped buying kaywoodies online because I found a antique store that had them in a bin and I would just do the pipe cleaner test on them.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
My first pipes were Medico and Kaywoodie respectively. The Medico was a sweet-smoking bulldog that burned out because of the abuse I gave it as a newbie. (We're talking about 1966 here.) I still have the Kaywoodie, a ½-bent high bowl with a stinger. It smokes OK, but it never hit "the zone" for me. Stingers should be called gurglelators. Don't know anything about Grabow's.

DSCN0331.jpg
DSCN0340.jpg

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
My first pipe was a Sanda.

Sanda Pipes are made of Plastic and they have a metal insert bowl.
xsandatobaccopipe.jpg

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Stingers should be called gurglelators.
I'll second that. It took buying two Kaywoodies for it to sink in that I'll never buy another. (Though I do hear good things about the more expensive handmades.)
I had a Grabow once upon a time and can't really say how well it smoked since I had no idea what I was doing and didn't have the internet as a resource.
Out of the two, I'd choose a Grabow anyday. The first reason being that my Savinellis that are chambered for filters smoke just fine without them and the second reason being out of spite for the Kaywoodie brand.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Always have good luck with KW . It is hard to justify chewing the stem of a expensive pipe while doing yard work or working around the house .30 bucks and they come pretty beat up so no worries thats a good deal . Not sure what brylon is , and do not want to know .

Status
Not open for further replies.