PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
That's funny to watch but please do not feed your dog Benefull it is responsible for more canine deaths than any other single dog food outside of Old Roy. Don't mean to hijack your post Teddy but this stuff is horrible for your dog.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Petes03, ask your vet!
Mine recommended Hill's Science Diet kibble with about a spoonful of Wellness Ninety-Five Percent canned food mixed in.
*Edit: Now that you've got me thinking about it, I spent a few minutes checking out Hill's Science Diet and I think I want to get a second opinion...

sjb3

Might Stick Around
Oct 23, 2013
Man, I just switched my dog from Old Roy to Benefull hoping that it would help reduce his seizures (he's epileptic). I can't pay $40 for a 15lb bag of dog food every week (they're big dogs). Can anybody recommend some quality dog food at reasonable prices?

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
OK guys this is a VERY contentious issue and it will require significant research and self education on your part. If you love your pet, it is worthwhile. Firstly please do yourself a favour and read the book "Food Pets Die For" by Anne Martin. It will do more to educate you a two hours of reading than you could get from online all day. Her sources are vetted and I have personally confirmed with veterinarians that what she says is correct. A couple of the high points that you can research.
1) Low end pet foods contain rendered proteins from rendering plants. Those rendering plants are allowed by law to include decomposed pets from vets and kill shelters as well as diseased farm animals and road kill. The rendered meat is then boiled down and ground and then dried and pelletized into pet food. It should be noted that the drug used to euthanize pets that are going into this rendering process survives the heat of the rendering and can be found and has been found during tests. This has caused Vets to have to up the dosage of these drugs because pets have been growing immunities to the drug.

2) Cancer causing agents have been found as well as heavy metals.

3) Various pets foods like Eukenuba, Iams, and Purina have all been recalled for Corn meal mold that killed thousands of dogs a few years ago. The pet industry did not recall these products until there were already hundreds of deaths even though they knew it was going on.
Watch out for things like "meat meal" and "meat by product" these are the two biggest culprits. The better foods do not use this. There is no easy fix and it's not cheap to feed your dog healthy dog food from the store. We feed our Lab's a combination of a high end food with a homemade diet that we make in our crock pot. vegetables, Chicken, Vitamins, and Eggs. The combination of a high end food with supplementing makes the per bowl cost about the same as a medium cost dog food. One fact that many people don't realize is that before we started feeding dogs pelletized dog food in the 50's there were dogs that lived 17 to 20 years. Just think about that almost twice the length of life.
My best advice is find yourself a good holistic vet someone who is not in the pocket of the huge pet food companies and work with them to design a good diet for your companion. This is such a sensitive subject and one that most people don't want to know about. Ignorance is bliss for everyone except our pets.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Dogs being omnivores, I can't think of a commercial food that meets all of the nutritional needs of a dog.
I prepare a weeks worth o9f the following diet: 80-20 hamburger - about a pound cooked

skinless chicken breast - a pound cooked

carrots - cooked a pound

broccoli - florets and/or chopped stalks cooked, a pound
All ingredients chopped and mixed together. We prepare a few of Tupperware containers. One for immediate use and the others in the freezer.
Paladin, our 80# lab, is fed twice a day, 3 rounded table spoons mixed with a scant handful of a grain free kibble.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
@Warren the only thing you have to be careful with when feeding them home prepared dog food only is that you are also supplementing a vitamin or at least adding calcium so they are getting enough minerals. You can save egg shells in the freezer and them put them in the blender to grind them up to a dust. About two tablespoons is sufficient for about a weeks worth.

@Pete03 and sjb3 unfortunately there is not an easy answer as to what to feed that is cheap. Home feeding guarantees that your dog is getting no rotten or diseased meats but will in most cases be mineral and vitamin deficient. The best option that I have found to date is a couple cups of a higher end food with a homemade diet. If you own a crock pot it's not that much work at all. I usually get two sweet potatoes, a package of carrots, a $5.00 sale rack chick thighs and a bag of walmart frozen veggies. A small amount of sage for flavour and some apple chunks. Cook it overnight and by morning the bones in the thighs come right out, add some oatmeal to thicken into a meal with a couple of whole eggs. Cook the oatmeal and the eggs for about an hour more in the crockpot. Everything else gets mixed up with an immersion blender that my wife uses for soup. Like Warren we make a weeks worth on the weekend. Total cost per week is under $12.00 dollars CDN. Your prices might vary because we pay more for groceries here. A small bag of dog food goes for around $18.00 and that feeds my dog 2 cups of kibble per day for two weeks. So that's fifteen a week. Fed twice per day is less than a dollar per bowl. I usually spend $2.00 every morning on coffee and a whole heck of a lot more on fuel for my Truck. In the great scheme of things not near as much as you think you are spending.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
My dog would eat the rotting ass off a deer carcass if he could... :lol: I do my best to feed him better stuff, but he still gets the bagged stuff, but he eats plenty of veggies with me too. I try not to take this stuff too seriously; it's starting to turn into the same thing I hear everyday about the things we eat and use... If everything is a toxin or causes cancer; how the heck did humanity survive the past century.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
With respect teufelhund canine cancers have increased 600% since 1980. Much of the food sold as pet foods aren't fit for human consumption so why feed your pet something that you know contains things that are seriously bad for them. I for one have had to say good bye to too many loyal friends that could have lived many more years if I had known what I know now about Canine nutrition. Every person is entitled to his or her own opinion but I believe that each choice made should be based on an informed decision.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Some of our members dogs eat better than I do. My dogs prefer dead animals, the more rotten the better. Of course every now and then for an extra treat they go and get horse apples.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have the queen of all allergic dogs. I've learned that anything with corn, wheat, or byproducts are as bad as they can get. Look at the label and read the ingredients. It lists ingredients in percentage order.
I'll admit that the vet prescribed Puriena EN Gastroenteric diet with probiotics. I gag everytime I open a can, it contains by-products. When I questioned him, he told me that the rest of the world population eats worse things. If Gracie didn't do so well on this diet, it wouldn't cross the threshold. I do buy Dinovite supplement. All processed dog food lacks vitamins and minerals - they're cooked right out of them.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Piper12: I should have mentioned the following: Paladin's diet is specifically geared for preventing cancer and is supplemented with fish oil and a couple of other nutritional supplements. But, the meat and veggie mix, along with a minimal amount of a no grain, vitamin and mineral enriched, kibble is a well rounded diet for most any healthy dog.
I handled dogs for a couple of years when I was a cop and each dog in the squad was trained only to eat food presented by the handler. We did this to prevent poisonings as well as guaranteeing proper feeding. Of course these dogs as well as my current pet did not roam the neighborhood. I bet that no matter how well trained most any dog will sometimes let his nose and stomach over-ride his training. Dogs will be dogs!

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
well not having a clue what you are talking about certainly hasn't prevented folks from posting on this thread..

Status
Not open for further replies.