Does waxing an unfinished pipe lock in the color?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Hi All,
New to the forum - thanks for all of the information! I've just acquired two natural/unfinished briar pipes, and I was thinking of applying a bit of Paragon wax to them, just to give them a slight shine. Will unfinished briar still acquire color when there's a light coat of wax on it? I am looking forward to my pipe darkening a bit!
Thanks.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Yes, I think it would acquire color. I believe the "coloring" is from the heat, in other words, from the inside out.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Waxing will bring out the grain color some. It will also help it darken over time as stated above. I think paragon has a softening point much less than say carnuba, but it should help some.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you want darker, and soon, a light coat of olive oil should do the trick. Although the pipe I applied it to had some real age on it; it was an unfinished one when I bought it.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Any wax you put on your natural finish pipe is going to darken it by itself. And, yes, a pipe will darken with a wax finish over time.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I applied wax to a rusticated Tinsky pipe and almost ruined it...It made the briar just look dirty.

I stripped the wax and applied a stain, which was only a marginal improvement.

I should have left well enough alone...
I won't buy another bare pipe again. Without the wax on the rim, the briar darkens more quickly than any of my other pipes. (I also have a bare Ligne Bretagne)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Depends a lot on the wax used, and somewhat on the individual piece of briar.
The pipe in the pic below is raw, unstained wood that was hit with some beeswax, and then smoked a couple dozen times.
I've also seen pipes like Al describes where carnauba was used, and the wood turned grayish and dirty-looking.
I don't use those jarred "auto wax" sort of products, so can't comment on them other than to say they are soft and smell bad. :?
In general, the best "natural color" pipes are actually stained before waxing. The color used just isn't dramatic.
PTgpYM3.jpg

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Thanks for the feedback, all. @georged, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of staining on these, and perhaps a bit of wax as well. It seems like the consensus is that the wax will have no effect on the darkening process, and may even perhaps enhance it. It is paragon (which from my understanding is a bit less potent than straight up carnauba), so a little layer on top of the briar (I hope) shouldn't "dirty" or "gray" the briar. All-in-all, I expect the coloring process to take place over the next few years, so wax-or-not, I would imagine there may be a dirty in-between state.
@Warren, not sure what you're referring to about the wax being ripped off?
Thanks again!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think my biggest issue was trying to wax a blasted pipe....
Here's what it looks like after the wax was removed (scrubbed off with alcohol...) and than a light stain applied. Not ugly anymore, but she's no Super Model either.

I had the good sense to let this one be.

Status
Not open for further replies.