Tags:  No tags yet. 

Does pipe smoking cause bad breath

(18 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by thomasmartin
  • Latest reply from seadogontheland
  1. thomasmartin

thomasmartin

Login to Send PM

So far my spouse hasn't complained yet and she didn't back then but since my long hiatus from the hobby the taste of tobacco seems to linger for days in my mouth. Was just wondering if anyone else may notice...

Thomas
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Probably no worse than the reek in your hair and clothes. I seriously doubt the pipe would be any worse than garlic, onion or a bunch of other stuff you can put in your mouth.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bad breath and pipe smoking depends partly on your body chemistry. If you smoke moderately -- which I'd define as a bowl or two most days -- most people don't have a problem, but some do. When I used to smoke aromatics regularly, I don't think it gave me bad breath but the aftertaste problem made me lay off pipes from time to time. I think the flavorings in aromatics can do things to your sense of taste, though I smoke an occasional aromatic for a change of pace. Your breath also depends a lot on dental health, and this depends partly on dental hygiene and partly on your inherited dental health. Resolve any dental problems on an ongoing basis. Brush and floss regularly as recommended. Get your instructions from your dentist. Your spouse/significant other will smell tobacco on your breath, so be considerate -- brushing and breath mints as required. Any ongoing problem, see your dentist. Moderation is probably a good preventative.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. thomasmartin

thomasmartin

Login to Send PM

Agreed! I found that the most important besides tooth brushing and flossing is cleaning your tong with brush or one of these special spatula. I do this on a daily basis. I never had problems so far but I stopped pipe smoking for about ten years and I was surprised by the aftertaste thing!

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The smoke gets into all manner of nooks and crannies in the mouth and nasal passages - during the spring, when my allergies go haywire, I can get a sudden burst of tobacco scent days later when a sinus finally drains... My usual post-smoke routine includes brushing my teeth, washing my beard and mustache, and using Biotene mouthwash (also gargling, to get the back of the throat. I've even been known to use a neti pot to rinse out the nasal passages, especially if they're feeling a little irritated by pollen and/or a particularly pungent English tobacco...

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

cleaning your tong with brush or one of these special spatula

I know what you meant on that comment, but I did almost spit up my coffee when I read that...:)

And on the subject of tobacco smell...We smoke a pipe about once a week and on those rare days when my wife doesn't smoke a pipe with me- trust me- she always notices the smell.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. tamer291

tamer291

Login to Send PM

I usually brush right after I smoke so I don't get any complaints from the old lady.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I gargle with acetone after smoking, never had a complaint about my breath.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. brass

brass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find that people will smell it on your clothes and hair. On the other hand, I don't let people get so close that they would smell my breath. Pax

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. jiujitsubowl

jiujitsubowl

Login to Send PM

It will cause a little bit of what others have described as "ashy" breath. But like mso said, breath mints and brushing helps. I keep some of those small quick on the go brushes with me. The ones that have built in toothpaste. Those help. But Facial hair and the hair on your head will hold the scent a bit longer.

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.” -CS LEWIS-
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good dental hygiene is a must if you are a smoker. Flossing and brushing, with the occasional rinse of mouthwash should keep the complaints of bad breath to a minimum. And on the plus side, it will also help reduce the risk of oral cancer, which is obviously increased with pipe and cigar smoking.

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. thefalcon

PipeDreamer

Login to Send PM

Only if you smoke the wrong blends! I love the aftertaste of my blend of choice.

Cheers,--Eric

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. thefalcon

PipeDreamer

Login to Send PM

[quote] I gargle with acetone after smoking, never had a complaint about my breath.

Dan, hydrochloric Acid also works well. LOL

Cheers,--Eric

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In short: yes. Good hygiene (for you and your pipe) goes a long way. If your lady friend doesn't find the smell (or idea) of the pipe attractive, you probably won't be doing the horizontal polka without a good shower and teeth brushing.

Cheers

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. thomasmartin

thomasmartin

Login to Send PM

Tnx. Much good advice on this forum. Probably the aftertaste doesn't come from my mouth but from sinuses and such, where toothbrush, tong spatula and mouthwash don't reach. Sense of taste and smell are in the nose after all.

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. zenistar

zenistar

Login to Send PM

I've not really had any complaints from my other half about this, but then again in her eyes anything is better than cigar breath!

Since switching to pipes though I also added a WaterPik water flosser to my dental routine - this works really well as an alternative to flossing.

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. seadogontheland

seadogontheland

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes it affects your breath, as would anything that goes in the mouth. Keep your mouth clean drink plenty of fluids to keep hydrated and you should be good as far as personal hygiene. There are many products to cover up the smell just be careful with the alcohol based oral perfumes since they will tend to dry the mouth.

Life is good...I have truly been blessed.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  18. seadogontheland

seadogontheland

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes it affects your breath, as would anything that goes in the mouth. Keep your mouth clean drink plenty of fluids to keep hydrated and you should be good as far as personal hygiene. There are many products to cover up the smell just be careful with the alcohol based oral perfumes since they will tend to dry the mouth. Your sense of taste is affected by the mouth and the nose. To keep it off the body, aside from showering a smoking jacket or bathrobe would work just fine.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cosmicfolklore, folanator, paulie66scandinavian, anotherbob, lawdawg, spartacus, smudgersmissingleg, burleyboy, mikefu, peteguy, jaytex969, paulfg, seldom, upnorth1