Does MacBaren's 'ODF' Flake Age Well in Tins?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I had never tasted this great tobacco before receiving it from a kind forum member. I love its deep Va/Per richness and I am delighted it is available in the UK.
I am thinking of adding a few tins to my stash for 2018 and was wondering whether anyone could tell me how well it ages in the tin?

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Good advice Duckfat, will do.
PS meant to say 'Va/Bur' not "Va/Per", and I've already made one erroneous double post this morning - time for my medications methinks!! LOL

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have popped several one year old tins and had no issues with rust, but that is a good point from Duckfat. I would like to hear if anyone else had any issues with rust, it might make me change my plans.
You can purchase it in pound bulk from SPC. I picked up a couple pounds of bulk when it became available but am thinking my next purchase will be tins. I jarred up one of the pounds into a large jar so will see how that ages.
The bulk flakes are longer and thicker, maybe two or three of the tinned sized flakes stacked on top of each other and are about 6" or so long. They don't rub out as nice as the tinned flakes but make for a better cube cut.
It does seem to age well in the tin, hence my plan to get more tins instead of the bulk.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
duckfat, where do you live and what environmental conditions do you store your tobacco in? Rust after only one year is no where near normal. Do you remember where you bought the tin?
When I found out I loved the stuff, I stocked my cellar with 65 tins and am very confident it will age very nicely in the original tins when stored in a stable environment. If you keep the humidity down where you store your tins, then rust should not be an issue.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@Harris, thanks, I will rely on your advice in this matter. It is not very humid in southeast Scotland and my 'cellar' is indoors where the ambient temperature averages 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Further, on this 'side of the pond' this tobacco can only readily be sourced in tins.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
flakey, you might want to check what your humidity levels are. I have a dehumidifier on my HVAC system and it keeps the humidity low. You may want to think about getting a dehumidifier if your levels are high. If you are near the ocean then humidity could be a factor.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Harris, that's a good point, especially since the jars (and now also tins) are stored in wooden wine cases in a cupboard under the stairs where space is constrained and there is no airflow.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I will, and thanks for the advice Harris. Luckily the tobaccos have only been in store for a couple of weeks. Storing and aging tobacco is a new experience for me and I trust your advice on all its nuances.
PS How frequently do you advise I should check the seals on the jars?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Once I jar something I honestly don't look at it again. I do not use the screw top jars and have no experience with them. I would ask roth about those as he has a lot of experience with them. In my experience if you keep your temperature in a constant range and do not allow big swings and also keep your humdity levels low your tobacco should age just fine. I think people run into problems when the temperature goes to 50 in the winters and 80's in the summers. I keep mine at 70-74 year round with low humidity.

Dec 24, 2012
I store my tins in a large air right container with silicone gaskets. I can fit around 32 ODF tins in one container. This acts as a barrier re humidity and also as a second line of defence if a seal pops. I do this with all my square and rectangular tins. The round tins I don't worry about. I also control humidity where my tobacco is stored, so this is all me being a nervous nellie.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks Peck. As you know the 'Old Dark Fired' Flake is presented in rectangular tins, as are the 'Dunhill Flake' and 'Germain's Brown Flake'. I don't have a source for the containers you describe, so I can either empty them into my 'Mason jar' equivalents or control the humidity and keep an occasional eye on them, probably the former.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks Roth, with the advice you, Harris and Peck have given me I am now all set! It is an a valuable collection (in more ways than one) and I intend to cosset it!

Status
Not open for further replies.